Topic

BPL special–The last ever Stix are available

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals BPL special–The last ever Stix are available

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Some of you may know that the multiple-use Stix I have sold in the past are no longer available. I've tried to find a metal worker that could do the unique S-shaped heads, but it seems that everyone is afraid of titanium. So I am out of the Stix business now. When the past batches were made, I kept some for myself as a personal stash. Recently, I realized that I set aside more than I will ever need. I would like to cull the herd, and make the extras available to BPL people. I have up to six sets of 6 I can let go. For personal reasons, I am limiting this offer to BPL's M and MLife members only. While I certainly have appreciated the contributions of the F members, I want to reward those that have chosen to support Ryan Jordan and BPL in a more substantial way. For those of you that aren't familiar with the Stix, they were originally designed to support one of my Zia grills when no rocks were available. They are multi-use, in that they work well as tent stakes, for hanging a candle on the wall of an igloo or quinzee, and anything else you might think of. They are rather unique. Here's a photo of what I am offering. There will be four 10" Stix (as measured from the bottom of the "S"), and two that are a smidge over 12" (the Stix are made from .012" 6/4 titanium). The past batches were 8.5" and 9" to 9.5" long. I kept those that happened to be longer, as they work better to support a grill in softer soil where I have to place them deeper. In addition, I had my guy make some of the 12" guys with the leftover rod so I could play around with them. I figured I could always cut them down. My go-to set of 6 includes what you see in the photo–4 shorter ones, and 2 longs. The extra length of the longer ones comes in handy for raising my gravity filter cord to an out-of-reach branch. 6 Stix The price, which includes shipping, is a bit high at $40 for a set of 6 Stix. The reasons it's a little more than what I had charged previously is because: 1) They are slightly longer than the others 2) They are the "picks of the litter", the most primo Stix (for my private collection, remember?) 3) They are the last remaining Stix. I won't be making any more, ever. So here's what you do, if you want a set: First post in this thread so that I can see the M or MLife next to your name, then either send me a PM, or more preferably, send me an e-mail to drzooz (at) aol (dot) com If anyone has questions, you may either post them in this (watched) thread, or pop me an e-mail at the above address. Edit-By the way, in the photo the 2 longer ones look curved. They aren't, it's just a cheap camera with a sort of fish-eye attitude.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

You try Lawson at Lawson Equipment? Bet he could do that for you.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Actually, for it to be known, Lawson was the man that cordially offered to bend those Stix for me in the past. But he has broken down his roller bender, and he has moved onto cordage, as well as other things (like marrying Danielle, and having two beautiful daughters). So unless you can help me find another adroit guy like Lawson that is willing to bend some Stix for me, this project is over. Thanks for the thought, though.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

"So unless you can help me find another adroit guy like Lawson that is willing to bend some Stix for me, this project is over." I believe Lawson has Given or sold his jigs and or tooling to Dutch from Dutchware Gear. Have you considered having Dutch doing them for you?

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

I was just going to recommend Dutch!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

I appreciate your suggestions, guys. Dutch would be the logical guy, but I expect that he would have to charge more than we can afford to make it worth his while. Actually, I have little interest in having another batch made, as I think the Stix concept has pretty much run its course.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

Gary, I'll take one set of those Stix. Mike S

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

You're the man, Mike. I like the thought of someone using Stix up in Kodiak. I just now replied to your e-mail.

Robert Hamilton
    BPL Member

@cinsight

Locale: (null)

I would like to purchase 2 sets

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

You're good, Robert. Send me an e-mail to the address I'd mentioned above, and we'll work out the payment details. You haven't set up your PM thing yet, so let's do this via regular e-mail.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools