Topic

Any defenders of a down quilt for 7 days in GSMNP in Oct/Nov?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Any defenders of a down quilt for 7 days in GSMNP in Oct/Nov?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Stewart
    BPL Member

@saltcreektrail

Locale: Chicago

I love my JRB Hudson River 900 fp (temp rated 25-30F), but b/c I’m seeing so much caution about moisture accumulation in down over time, I’m wondering about getting a synthetic quilt for this trip I’ve never used down for this long in these conditions. I’m actually doing 3 consecutive 7-night trips in GSMNP in late Oct – mid Nov, with a one-night in-town stay between each 7-night leg, so I’ll be able to dry gear every eighth night. I’ll be all over the park: up high and in the valleys, almost never in shelters. I use an Oware drawcord bivvy (Quarktex 20 denier top) with a trimmed RidgeRest under a flat A-frame tarp. I layer clothes as needed at night. Full clothes: lightweight wicking + ltwt fleece + Patagonia Nano Air Jacket + Helium II W/B jacket + balaclava. Would anyone defend the use of a down quilt for this trip? If you were looking at synthetic quilts for this trip, what would you recommend? Thanks for any wisdom you can share.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

I would use down on a trip like that with no worries. In most conditions, moisture accumulation isn't a problem in down. For example, last year I slept in a down bag for two months in an Alaska rain forest in an unheated tent. Yup, under some conditions the top of my bag would be damp, but every night my body was drying the down insulation. As long as you are smart with how you do it, you should be fine. For example, if condensation is becoming a problem, don't crawl into your bag with damp or wet clothing. Don't let your bag/quilt get wet from rain or snow or dew. If needed, take advantage of sun to get your quilt/bag bone dry. I'm not sure how cold it will be there that time of year so I don't know if your quilt will be warm enough, though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Also, just bring a bag or quilt with over stuff and/or lower temp rating for what you expect. That way, if there is some problem with loss of loft, it won't be as big a deal. And we're not talking that much extra weight at all, a matter of a relative few or so ounces–a "penalty" well worth the extra insurance.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I would not hesitate to take down for that trip and have done so many times. I agree that the Smokies can have problems with moisture. Some nights you might get a little wet no matter what you do. But you can recover a bit most evenings. My question is how you do spend 14 days in the Smokies. MLD and EE synthetic quilts have strong reputations.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Condensation will be more of a problem in a bivy then in a tent. I think you'll be fine but I would make sure my puffy layer etc gave you some insurance in case things got a bit damp. Edit check weather forecasts, I might be inclined to bring a full length pad at that the me of year.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Would anyone defend the use of a down quilt for this trip? We do not even own any synthetic quilts, or SBs. So yeah, go for it. Cheers

Benjamin Stewart
    BPL Member

@saltcreektrail

I really appreciate the experience and wisdom, everyone. (I'm actually surprised nobody advocated synthetics… anyone?) Given the feedback here, I'm leaning toward sticking with my down quilt for this trip. And I'll have the backup of my (synthetic) nano air jacket + fleece if the down gets damp. (and Ben Crocker, re: "My question is how you do spend 14 days in the Smokies." Ha. First, it's more like 22 days. Second, not sure what obstacle you have in mind, but I'm doing sabbatical writing and research on backcountry cemeteries, daisy-chaining a series of 3 backcountry permits, trying to stay out of the shelters, and winding around to hit a lot of trails.) Thanks again, all.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Ha Ha I was seeing GSMNP but thinking RMNP in my head… I was like "condensation??? What is he talking about?!?!" Then I slowed down and re-read GSMNP. Ahhh! You should get a chance to dry out your down… should.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

For damp conditions, just carry a bit of extra insulation to compensate for slight loss of loft.

Benjamin Stewart
    BPL Member

@saltcreektrail

RE: "For damp conditions, just carry a bit of extra insulation to compensate for slight loss of loft." Yes. And to that point: forgot to mention also bringing thin Sea-to-Summit Thermolite bag liner: extra layer of insulation as needed.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Ben, I was really just curious as to what you would do for that length of time in the Smokies. Its a fairly small park and not a lot of variation in the terrain. But I see you are researching Smokies graves. I have stumbled across quite a few there. I would assume there are a lot of them I have not seen as well. I think you'll be fine in your quilt. I would leave the bivy open or sleep on top of it as much as possible. When the fog rolls in, though, you might be better fully inside your bivy. In my experience, liners add little warmth. It might be good for wiping the condensation off your quilt in the morning.

K. Urs Grütter, LL.M.
    BPL Member

@charly13muri-be-ch

Locale: Switzerland

with today's synthetics, there is no more reason for down. I am a happy Ray-Way quilt user, stopped using my expensive down bag a year ago. Have no real experience in cold and damp weather with down, but do some reading in Ray Jardine's website and his excellent book "trail life". Of course you have to go for top notch synthetics to come anywhere near down. The cheapos are just far too heavy.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Check the weather statistics for the area you will be travelling through. The closer your are to living at the dew point and the more liquid precipitation, the more you want synthetics over down. Cold, moist, high humidty conditions allow moisture to accumulate in insulation and less opportunity to dry.

Benjamin Stewart
    BPL Member

@saltcreektrail

Thanks for the heads-up about the Ray-Way quilt. Looks interesting. I may add it to my kit after this trip. Thanks Urs.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

The closer your are to living at the dew point and the more liquid precipitation, the more you want synthetics over down. +1 There are times and places for both, as experience will tell you. Spend a few thousand dollars and precious vacation days only to have a trip ruined by a wrong choice and the lesson will stick with you. The National Climatic Data Center is your friend and will help you select gear accordingly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools