Topic

Borah eVent Bivy — Does It Need Seam Sealing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Borah eVent Bivy — Does It Need Seam Sealing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

I got a Borah Gear eVent bivy, and it didn't come seam sealed. I asked John about it and he said most customers don't find it necessary. The seams are cleanly sewn, and since everything is sewn with a single seam there's not a lot exposed. Would other owners of this and similar bivies mind sharing their experience? My instinct is telling me to seal it, but if it's not really necessary I don't want to waste my time.

Jonathon Self
    BPL Member

@neist

Locale: Oklahoma

I never sealed mine when I had it, but I didn't find it overly necessary either. If I was expecting monsoon weather, I might consider it, but if I really was expecting that much rain, a bivy probably wouldn't be my first choice. :) Mine held up to light rain just fine, and I'm sure it would have been fine in most anything short of sitting in a puddle (which one should avoid anyway).

Anonymous
    Inactive

I also asked John after receiving mine earlier this year, and he told me the same thing. I tested mine with a water sprinkler on a rather gentle setting for 15 minutes, and there were several damp/wet spots on paper bags I had inside the bivy. Even though I don't ever anticipate sleeping in a deluge, I want to trust my gear 100%. I seam sealed mine, tested again, no leaks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools