Topic

Looking for senior backpackers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Looking for senior backpackers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Henry Thomas
    BPL Member

@hthomas

Planning 1 or 2 trips to the Bob Marshal and back to the Wind River Range. I am 68 and definitely planning the Wind River Range. Experienced and know my limitations. The Wind River Range would be in August and Bob Marshal is tentative.

Jose Beltran
    BPL Member

@josebeltran

Locale: East Bay, San Francisco area

Hi Henry, I definitely have interest. The Wind River Range is on my bucket list. I have been backpacking for a long time. I have done many off trail, mainly solo. Hopefully we can work something out for next year. Keep Hiking, Jose Beltran

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Henry, 67 and interested. Also from Minnesota and like to backpack on the Superior hiking trail too. Maybe get together for coffee sometime this winter? Dave

Hank N
    BPL Member

@hbnash3

Henry,

I’m 63 and interested in backpacking, have 20 experience.  Lots of possible hikes and destinations. Do you have any plans for end of July 2016.

Hank

Bob H
    BPL Member

@cowdoc-2

Locale: San Diego

Hello fellow seniors. I propose we form MBA, mature backpackers association!  Always wanted an MBA.  I am 63 and training for High Sierra Trail,  to be followed by John Muir Trail.  We all have similar issues to address but I plan I hiking until at least 90!  Thoughts?  I am located in SoCal and always up for trip ideas.

Rosaleen Sullivan
    Spectator

@mamarosa43

Locale: New England

LOVE the MBA idea!   I’m in MA. Anyone out this way?

Kimberly Mooers
    BPL Member

@godschildren

Hi Rosaleen;

I’m out your way; maybe. I’m in NYS. I’m interested too in the MBA idea. Kimberly

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

You might want to consider working with your local Sierra Club to form an interest group, or it may already have one. There are many trips sponsored by the Angeles Chapter that are suitable for all ages and abilities, where you can participate, learn from and teach others, and not feel age-ghettoized. Beyond participation opportunities, many of us believe that making the outdoors accessible for others builds a larger community of people who will step-up to protect the environment.

Mark Armesto
    BPL Member

@marmesto

Hi,

I’ll be 70 in December, and I’m planning on at least two four-five day backpacking trips in the Adirondacks this summer. I’m very flexible with time. Anyone interested?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

SENIOR backpackers, OLDER backpackers, or just ‘post-mature’ backpackers?

Cheers

Bob H
    BPL Member

@cowdoc-2

Locale: San Diego

Hummmm.  In horseback polo, 50 is considered a senior.  63 here and headed to JMT this fall.  Maybe should head to Adirondacks for conditioning??

Jerry C
    Spectator

@jcram

Just wondering if the “Senior Backpackers” idea ever got off the ground…I’d be very interested in meeting some other folks 55 to 80 who might live in the general area of Raleigh, North Carolina where I reside…or anywhere convenient to the western NC mountains where I do most of my backpacking, camping, trout fishing, Scotch drinking, etc. :)… I’m 76, have been doing this for over 60 years and still going strong…Let me hear from you if you’re interested.  Jerry P. Cram, Sr.    [email protected]

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

got off the ground
    Nah, just went underground …
    Chuckle

Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

Finally!!!  I am 60, tons of experience, and am also planning a Winds trip this year. Please, please, lets start at least a pool of hikers who often have more time, but then have to hike alone!  I have lots of ideas!

Jerry C
    Spectator

@jcram

Steve… Sorry you live so far away…I’m in the same boat…retired and can go anytime, but can’t seem to find a partner who can do the same. Take a look at my post under LOOKING FOR A HIKING PAL IN NC…If you ever get over to the east coast I’d like to meet you. Jerry Cram Raleigh, NC [email protected]

Barry H
    BPL Member

@spokhal

I am a 63yo backpacker in Ohio. Now employed very part time, probably fully retired later this year. Finally getting to do some of the trips I have always wanted to do but were too busy working and being a Father to school age kids before.

Looking to hike the Becton McKay trail from Springer Mtn to Davenport Gap over 3-4 wks between mid April and mid May. Would be happy to have a hiking partner or two for this trip. Let me know if anyone here is free and interested.

Barry

[email protected]

Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

well, it seems to me that we need to get some dates down and see who is interested! Might be possible for the western folks to gather for a start

August in the Winds?

I’m not up on the winter snow packs in various regions; but wondered about trips to the Sierras’, and Utah high country as well…    Would be pretty awesome if there was a trip once a month for the season! Nice motivation and makes logistics much easier…

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

a friendly reminder – “bots” troll the net to gather email addresses for less than honorable purposes.

At the least throw a little chaff in there – greg atttt smgm dott org   – or paste in a jpg  

Jerry C
    Spectator

@jcram

Barry… The Benton Mackaye is slightly less than 300 miles…I haven’t done any of it, except the very short portion that duplicates the AT and the newly designated sections through the Smokies… I couldn’t do all of it with you, because of the time required, but perhaps we could do a week or so together…maybe two.  I am 76 and can make about 8 miles a day with a full pack…how does that stack up with your normal pace? Jerry Cram

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Steve,   I answered Henry’s call the last time and am not totally uninterested. It remains to be seen if I will have time.

Young Packer

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools