Topic

2007 Backpacking Light Staff Picks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable 2007 Backpacking Light Staff Picks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Companion forum thread to:

2007 Backpacking Light Staff Picks

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

Roger, we really, really, REALLY need to know more about your tent.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

Icebreaker base layers – like Alison, I like the 'low stench' factor. The Icebreaker merino wool is also comfortable and 'no itch', plus comfortable in a wide range of temperatures.

Nunatak Ghost quilt – love the texture of the Pertex shell, the warmth of the down, the comfort of being able to vent easily, and the low weight.

Darn Tough Vermont Micro Crew socks – durable, comfortable.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
    Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

bushbuddy : i have been using it now for a year ie about 4 one week trips, its light , its fun

tarptent double rainbow : only way i could convince my wife to leave our 4.2lb tent at home :)

Valandré mirage sleeping bag : i am in love with it ( the 35cm one )

Komperdell C3 duolock, i should have put them first :)
    i cannot hike without trekking poles, my back is in a very bad shape ( car accident) and the only way i can support any weight on my shoulders is by using trekking poles, the movement of the shoulders when using poles, keeps my back muscles from contracting and being painful.
    i love their weight / stiffness for 3 sections poles.

err thats 4 items, but its so hard to remove one .

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Bushbuddy Ultra – Easy to use and super enjoyable for camp time relaxing. Easily become my fav 4 season stove. Did I mention how nice it is to have something to roast hot dogs and marshmallows over at the end of the day??

Fenix LOD CE – Navigated through the Grand Canyon for 3+ hours in the pitch black of the morning with nothing but this light. Upon encountering our first rattler, my fiance with her Petzl e+lite could not see more than 5 feet in front of her while I was able to spot that sucker more than 100 feet away. I use this light every night for at least 30-45 minutes jogging around town and I only find I need to recharge the battery one a week.

Patagonia Cold Track Light pants – My new Fall thru early Spring running/hiking/snowshoeing/light duty mountaineering pants. Superlight at 9 oz and moderately durable. The super stretch material easily moves with every stride and the fit is functional without giving you the crotch hugging "I am a fitness freak" tights look when stopping to get gas on the way home from a hike.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Here's my list:

Homemade down quilt. I've never been as proud of anything as I am of this quilt. I've used it on hot, muggy Missouri summer nights and down to the upper 20's with supplementing clothing. Easily my favorite piece of gear.

Leki Ti UL poles. They weigh barely under a pound for the pair, so they're relatively heavy by SUL standards, but I couldn't imagine hiking without them anymore. They're great for kickstand to sit on for a short rest, moving branches off the trail, setting up my tarp, keeping people in line, giving my hands something to do while hiking, and great for some added push up big hills. And I got them for 50% off :D.

Homemade Liberty Ridge windshirt. I was astounded at how much I actually use it and how handy it is. Who would have thought that a 3 oz shirt would be able to extend my range of comfort so much. The only thing it really lacks is good breathability, since I made it out of 1.1 oz DWR ripstop. I still have the pattern, so I may order some Momentum90 one of these days and make another.

Two pieces of gear I haven't yet used enough to put them on this list are the GG Whisper and my homemade poncho-tarp. I haven't really used the Whisper on that many trips but the times it has been out I've been really impressed with it.
    I just made my poncho-tarp two weeks ago and got a chance to use it as a tarp this past weekend. It worked really well as a tarp; I still haven't tested it as rain gear though. But at only 7.25 oz, how could I not like it!

Adam

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Roger – I think that there certainly would be interest … would you consider making some upon request? (*Probe*)
    Cheers,
    Sven

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Montbell UL comfort pad system.

I really like the integrated system which consists of 3 items: 90 cm (35 inch) torso pad, inflatable pillow, and closed cell foam extension pad. What sets the system apart is the toggle system that allows you to toggle the components together.

BPL Cocoon hoodie.

Warm and super light. The hood is great in combination with a hoodless bag.

Ryan Bozis alcohol stove http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1054

Learned about this stove from Andrew Skurka's website. It's similar to a supercat stove but much easier to make. Compared to the supercat it burns a little slower and more efficiently with a more contained flame so it works well with narrow pots.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Ryan,
    This summer my wife and I used the SL-1100 in combo with a
    MSR Pocket Rocket and the wind screen you came up with on your site. We used only 6-1/2 oz of fuel for 6 days using
    freezer bag cooking. Love that little pot.

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

homemade Liberty Ridge windcoat, with full molded zip and hood, 1.1 oz dwr. this has been ever reliable and useful for several years and I've been quite impressed with it's durability. It almost always comes with me for its meager 3 oz weight.

Cilogear 60L Worksack, Version 1. Versatile, light, durable, and comfortable, and carries everything I need for rock climbing, mountaineering, and guiding backpacking trips.

Montrail Hardrock trail runners. I got these on sale this August, and after wearing out 4 pairs of Sportiva Exum Ridges, the Hardrocks felt really comfortable, having more padding and a wider toebox than the Exum Ridges. Granted, I still love the scrambling and climbing ability of the Exum Ridges, but for putting in miles on a trail the Hardrock is where its at.

and, I can't resist number 4… my Paramo Aspira Jacket. Yes, its heavy, but in cold, wet conditions, or anytime in winter, it really simplifies layering, and the weight counts for hard shell, soft shell, and some insulation. Very comfortable and breathable too!

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

MLD Zip – plenty durable, all the features of heavier packs at only 10 oz!

Caldera Cone – for my Snow peak 600. It just works! No fiddling in the wind!

Dri Ducks – same pair going strong now for its second season. These allowed me to give up my poncho without shelling out 100 bucks on poorly breathable heavy raingear.

I should also add my ULA/BPL Arctic pack .

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

My Picks:
    1: Caldera Cone System — an alcohol based complete system that is light, well made, and works!

2: Montbell Super Stretch Sleeping Bags — pick one it doesn't matter which… they are all wonderful for the person who tosses and turns and is looking for a truely well made lightweight down bag.

3: Exped DM7 shortie: More and more my go to pad year round. Yes it is heavier than most pads. But oh the comfort and warmth this pad provides. Combined with a pad chair converter from thermarest, this pad becomes a great camp chair. Can be used to float around on Alpine lakes. I don't need as warm a bag in the cold when using this pad.

I am sure that I could add to this list but 3 is the limit.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Sven

> would you consider making some upon request? (*Probe*)
    As I explain at the FAQ web site, it turned out I was making $3/hr out of the manufacturing. Maybe I am too slow. Just not worth my while, as I have so many other things to do at present.
    Sorry.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

New to me this year that I like especially well:

ULA Equipment Circuit backpack

Patagonia Houdini windshirt

Shires' Contrail tarptent

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

1) Caldera cone with Titanium Esbit stand for my 2 quart AGG pot. So easy, stable and fuel efficient that I could never go back to cooking with ordinary pot stands and windscreens.

2)WM POD 15 or 30 with modfied attachment to a torso length Ridgerest pad. This set up is soooo warm, light and Versatile.

3) Homemade double quilt for trips with my partner. 3 inches of dense loft, a passive yolk for our necks, and an attachment system for 2 Stepehnson's DAMs makes this the ultimate luxury bed for two.

Like most everyone else, I would LOVE to sneak a fourth item in, but Henry Shires has already got plenty of votes ;)

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

ULA Conduit: Worked so well on a month thru this year.

TT Contrail: This will probably remain my favorite shelter for a very long time.

TiGoat CF Adjustable Poles: Were great on the long trek. So light, and they took a beating, too.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

My top 3 items:

1. Like several other posters, my Caldera Cones make the list. They finally make meal preparation over alcohol easy, faster, and convenient. One cone of Titanium(or Al) is the screen and pot support. No fiddling with a Jenga-stack of components, just light the stove and put the pot/cone combo on top.

2. Cilogear 45L Worksack. a light and minimalist alpine pack which can me modified to many configuarations. I have loaded it up to get to base camp; striped it to a sack for the summit attempt, and put on all the comfort items to haul metal and rope to the crag. (Im wearing it in my avatar picture to the left)
    I now own two Cilogears, the 'schoolbag' is actually big enough for an SUL weekend pack (but my kit is not so light…)

3. Fenix L0D AAA light with CREE LED. I have a box of lights, but this is my Every Day Carry, on a mini biner on my key ring. On the trail it can clip to my hat or hang around my neck. Amazingly bright and smooth beam. This replaced my Photons because I can always start with a fully charged AAA, unlike the Photons (the new rechargable type could also solve this issue.)

The idea is a 'list of 3', so I really should not mention the 'flick-lock' mechanism of my new Black Diamond trekking poles which made all my other poles obsolete.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

Thanks for the information Roger.

My top 3:
    Jacks'R'Better No Sniveler quilt: comfortable, warm, versatile, and well made.I slept warm every night I used it this summer, even when others in 15 degree mummies were cold.

Titanium Goat basic bivy: Sure, there's better bivies for a lot more money, but this was a great deal, and with just a 1.1 dwr top, kept me dry in a 20 minute light-rain this summer (I didn't even wake up, and I sleep light in the field)

REI Peak UL Trekking Poles: Not my first year with them, but the year that sold me on them completely. Light, stiff, and adjustable. Comfortable grips and straps too.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My top 3:

1. Jacks 'R Better Mt. Roger's Quilt – My wife and I both really like it and have used it down to 25'F with no problems. Much better (and lighter) than sleeping bags, even those that zip together.

2. ZPacks Z1 Pack – really light weight, minimalist pack with lots of room and just the right features.

3. Cocoon Hoody – same weight as my fleece jacket, but lots, lots, warmer.

All three of these either took a lot of wieght out of my pack or extended my temperature/comfort range significantly without adding weight.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

1. Sea to Summit Quagmire Canvas gaiters.
    these have copped alot of abuse this year and have served me incredibly well, and are yet to show any signs of wear…much more durable and comfortable than all the previous gaiters I've used. Fit is excellent.

2. Buff (original).
    i've spent alot of time in the sun, and this thing has proven itself working out in the Desert in the middle of Summer (both walking and on quad-bikes), Bushwalking, Rogaining, Running and Cycling. It has worked well doubled up as warmwear for my head and ears in particular, at night, and it keeps dust storms and insects out fine. If only they made it about 4 inches longer…so that it would provide more coverage as a balaklava under a helmet.

3. GoSo sun gloves.
    in all the activities above, I've found these fantastic. When you are under the hot Australian sun everyday, working in the dirt with animals, you don't want to be using sunscreen, and these filled the last gap that long pants, long sleeved shirt, wide-brimmed hat, buff and sunnies couldn't cover. I found them quite airy, and comfortable. The material is fine for wiping sweat out of the eyes.

(While I like shorts and gaiters for bushwalking; I'm now anti sunscreen above the knees, and in extreme heat I'm now actually converted to wearing long pants-thinking like an Arab).

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

After the 2006 picks I completely revamped my entire gear collection. Not only did I save a lot of weight, I also spent a ton of money.

I see a few things that I may want, but since I haven't felt the need to migrate from my Hex3 to a tarp or from my superfly to a cone system, I guess I'm good, for now. [Is it bad to want your Titanium trekking poles to break?]

I only have one new item that I would put on a list

My Patagonia R1 hoody. I wear it all the time. My only gripe is that I wish I could get it in Gray so that my cat's hair doesn't kill it

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

When I put this list together, I goofed and left Carol's picks out! Whoops! The article has been updated to include her top 3 for 2007.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

1. Inov8 Roclite 390 GTX, most comfortable boots/shoes ever worn

2. MLD Grace Solo Tarp always goes up as tight as a drum.

3. BPL Long Handled Ti Spoon.

A close fourth BPL ti pots and wing stove

Kevin Monagle
    BPL Member

@kmonagle

Locale: SouthWest

Hey Ryan…is there an easy way for you to share the gear template you use in google docs?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools