Topic

Footwear Recommendation – Presidential Traverse Early Oct. Boots or Trail Runners?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Footwear Recommendation – Presidential Traverse Early Oct. Boots or Trail Runners?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick B
    Spectator

@h1ker

Hey Gang, I'm hoping to complete a solo Presidential Traverse in the White Mountains sometime next week. I've been in the Presidential's about half a dozen times before, but always in January! I know their weather is sort of an exception to the normal rules… but was wondering if anyone could comment on the likelihood of needing boots / crampons this early in the fall. I'm definitely bringing both in the car, but was hoping to just take the trail runners and maybe some micro-spikes up the mountain – in case it gets dicey. In addition, some waterproof bags for my feet and 2 changes of wool socks. I'm hoping to complete it all in one day but will be bringing my pad / sleeping bag / bivvy in case weather or fatigue prevents me from finishing in one go :) Thanks!

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Trailrunners should be fine. a facebook friend of mine ran it this weekend. there is no snow yet. you could pack microspikes for the trip in case there was something up high but really doubtful. there will be nothing that you need boots or crampons yet. Extra batteries for the headlamp will be more important.. going up Valley way in the dark isn't bad. going down the other end is a bit more tricky when tired and dark. his trip report with great photos (as always) http://dailey7779.blogspot.com/

Nick B
    Spectator

@h1ker

Awesome, thanks Jake! Gonna go with the runners then. And that was a great write-up by your friend!

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Yea, i haven't had the chance to hike with him yet but any info that i've ever needed for pretty much any trail in the white mountains has been on his website or in a quick message to him on FB. have fun and enjoy the views. foliage should be starting pretty soon so you might get a bit of that.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

definitely bring the microspikes. have seen pictures from this weekend of rocks getting frosted and flurried up high. the trail will probably be fine for the most part but better to have the option.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Some years back (10-15, or more?) the Mt Washington Bicycle Hill Climb date was moved from early September to about the 3rd weekend in August because the event was snowed out, or nearly so, a few years in a row in early Sept. If I were going in October I would definitely take along microspikes unless I had some very specific information (somebody just exiting the trail) that there is no snow/ice, and a very solid weather forecast under a large, stable system… an awful lot of exposure on that traverse. Mt Washington Forecast

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools