Topic

Tips to keep face warm in a Tarp Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Tips to keep face warm in a Tarp Tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Phong Dinh
    Spectator

@nubasaurus

Locale: (null)

Hey, I have switched from a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight that was 10 years old to a Tarp Tent notch. I love the weight of the Notch, but I miss the warmth of the heavier Clip Flashlight. The Notch is like a Tarp on the outside with a integrated Bug Net on the inside. The Bug net is fully NO-SEE-UM mesh. This makes its a bit colder which is no problem with a sleeping bag and some thermo's. But my problem is that the drafts that hit my face and cold air entering my lungs. I've tried putting my head inside the bag but its too stuffy. I've tried getting a face mask but it gets too wet from my breath and then gets cold. Besides, its very uncomfortable. My best result so far is to hang my shirt from the top of the inside mesh such that it does not touch my face but kind of covers it like a small "face tent". That seems OK but there are not enough attachment points on the inner mesh to make this work in a fool proof way (I had to keep adjusting it at night). Before I modify my inner net to create this "face tent", I was thinking to ask if anyone has the same problem?

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Yes, I've had this problem ever since switching from older heavier two-wall tents to a variety of ultralight single-wall hybrid shelters. The solution for me is to wear a Zpacks down hood, and cinch it up to a small opening if I get a really cold face. I would probably go for their synthetic hood now if I were in the market – I got one for my significant other, and tried it out myself once, and I think it's probably a better sleep solution since its less vulnerable to moisture and hair/face oils.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Get a semi solid inner for the Notch.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

"Get a semi solid inner for the Notch." Or talk to them and maybe they could make you a completely solid inner. billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

or… balaklava

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

What improvement comes by getting colder in a lighter shelter? Why not just stick with what works but may be a few ounces heavier?

David Ure

@familyguy

"What improvement comes by getting colder in a lighter shelter? Why not just stick with what works but may be a few ounces heavier?" You mean like your 9 pound Hilleberg? What does the heading of this Website say? 1

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Plus, cold air coming into the side mesh of a TT could also evolve into wind-blown snow. Spindrift. Some TT users complain of this during winter trips.

David Ure

@familyguy

You don't think that a TT user would employ the right tool for the job? Like the Scarp series that is specific to winter conditions with a fly the goes all the way to the ground and as well, a solid inner tent? (smacks head agains wall).

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Sometimes a Fall trip can get a surprise unplanned snowstorm.

David Ure

@familyguy

Yes it can. But being Lightweight Backpackers, we have learned skills to cope with such an occurrence.

Theron Rohr
    BPL Member

@theronr

Locale: Los Angeles, California

I had this experience too in a TT cloudburst which couldn't block drafts. I imagine it would be ideal in hot, humid conditions but in cold, dry mountains there was always a draft rolling through the tent. I ended up finding that the old school poorly vented single wall tents you can get on amazon are actually perfect for those conditions.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

As mentioned, getting the semi-solid inner is a good tip. Also, you could lower the fly a bit on the windward side by sinking end poles into the ground and shortening trekiing poles. Does the notch have solid panels on the ends to close like the SW Moment did? In winter, I cover my mouth and nose with a thin acrylic or polyester fleece balaclava or neck gaiter. It wicks the moisture away, and I don't notice it much.

Phong Dinh
    Spectator

@nubasaurus

For anyone who has the partial solid interior, does it make much of a difference? I was thinking about buying that in the first place, but wanted the better "views".

Phong Dinh
    Spectator

@nubasaurus

"Does the notch have solid panels on the ends to close like the SW Moment did?" Yes, it has those. They were shut in my case. I can try sinking the end poles next time to lower it a bit, that does sound like it would work. THanks.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I used a semi solid inner with a Scarp and a Stratosphire and it worked well, the mesh part allowed for air flow to keep condensation at bay, but blocked breezes low down.

Phong Dinh
    Spectator

@nubasaurus

"What improvement comes by getting colder in a lighter shelter? Why not just stick with what works but may be a few ounces heavier?" I agree somewhat with that, but in this case, its almost 3 pounds lighter, which makes a difference to me. BUT if it means i have to carry a heavier sleeping bag, then at that point it makes less sense. I'm just trying to maximize what I get from my pounds at this point. In reality though, my waist is carrying 20 pounds more than it should! (I'm working on that too.)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I use the mesh inner (on snow too…) but the partial solid inner does make a difference. (I don't own the semi solid inner but have seam sealed several ) You still get good airflow because the top part is mesh but particularly when laying down it does offer more protection. Just sitting inside the semi solid inner for a few minutes makes the difference obvious. About 2 oz heavier than the mesh. (in stock at TT, $130)

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

If i'm not wearing my puffy to bed then in the cold i'll throw it over my head. not as confined as going into quilt/bag but keeps drafts out. I usually wear a hat anyway.

Phong Dinh
    Spectator

@nubasaurus

Thanks for all the help folks. It sounds like either a hood or a partial solid inner mesh is a good idea. I'll think about those but may also considering making my mod to the inner mesh so that I can hang a shirt for breeze protection just around my face area. I also have a sewing machine, so maybe I can make something custom for it. Do you guys know the elastic black tie inside the net used to tie up the door for entry? Is that shock cord? It seems like something thinner. Any idea what it is and where to get some? Thanks,

Phong Dinh
    Spectator

@nubasaurus

hrm…the "puffy" sounds more like what I'm thinking. I think it would have a bit more structure and not fall directly on my face, which is the problem I have with face masks and scarves. That's not a bad idea, but I tend to use mine as my pillow. I'll bring an inflatable pillow one time and try the "puffy" for the face.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

When I need to warm up my face I just put my head inside my sleeping bag. I'm 5'8" and use 6' bags. I know it does not work for some but it does for me.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

In Winter I wear a polar buff, fleece eye mask and the hood of a Capilene 4 or r1 fleece. It keeps me well covered and my face warm.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Maybe your sleeping bag isn't warm enough. If your body is cold, you're less able to send blood to your face and keep that warm.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

When it gets unusually cold or windy-pitch the Notch lower and/or use a Buff over part of your face in conjunction with a beanie. That's what I do when using a groundsheet + Notch fly backpacking in moderate temps(where it's not cold enough to warrant my Goosefeet down hood with my quilt), but sometimes camping at high altitude on mountain passes where the temps can drop dramatically and the wind tends to pick way up after sundown. I've also used a log or my backpack as a windbreak before. When I know it's going to be cold and/or windy on a regular basis, I use the partial solid inner. Makes a big difference. edit: you can slam the Notch all the way to the ground and button it up, but now you're sacrificing ventilation and inviting condensation. First time you get heavy condensation and it freezes, it'll be "snowing" inside your shelter if you bump the fly, and you'll start looking at other solutions-at least I did after that happened on a single digit night…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools