Topic

Life insurance

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Life insurance

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

So over the last two years I have been spending more time doing mountaineering/climbing and less time just backpacking. I started a new job that doesn't offer life insurance coverage like my old job did so I looked in to increasing my coverage with my auto/home insurance company (USAA) and after filling out a mountain of forms they told me that to offer me life insurance in the amount I want if I continue to do mountaineering it would be $479 a month. If I did not do the mountaineering it would be $37 a month for the coverage. I can not afford $479 a month. Does anyone know of life insurance companies that offer more affordable coverage for these kinds of activities?

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have a term policy that covers these types of activities since I am not a "professional" diver, skier, climber, etc. I just went through AIG Direct and for a 15 year term starting at age 51 it is just under $900 per year for $750k. I also have a policy through work that covers me as well in the event that I die during recreational activities. I guess the real test would be my wife making the claim after dying during one of these activities.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

John, Thanks yeah I was looking for roughly the same but $5,748 a year is way more than I can afford. Can you PM me some more info on this policy I would like to look in to that. I was almost resigned to not mountaineering anymore.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

The insurance company, once they know you participate in one of those "dangerous" activities will likely spread the word to other companies, even health insurance, and limit your ability to find coverage.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

There are ton of people that do this recreationally who have families (like me) I can't see them spending that much per year to pay for life insurance so there has to be good affordable coverage somewhere. I find it ironic though. I think my chances of bad things happening to me at work or driving to and from work everyday are statistically more likely than while I am in the backcountry.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

I'm not a mountaineer, but – might this be worth checking out? http://americanalpineclub.org/p/insurance

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

Sharon you rock. I figured the Guide organizations had something but hadn't looked yet.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

The only two activities I was asked about were skydiving and scuba diving but they were aware of al my other activities. Life in general has inherent risks and I certainly understand insurance companies wanting to mitigate risk, but you are more likely to die in your car on the way to the trailhead or work, or the grocery store. I feel the least safe on my bicycle riding around town, more so than my motorcycle or skiing or climbing a peak. I increased my life insurance because of activities I engage in as well as the risks associated with daily life. This was discussed with the insurance company when determining coverage, both amounts and duration. I would check out AIG direct online and see what they can do for you.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

Again John. Thank you so much. Yeah I have 3 little kids and I want to ensure that my wife and kids are provided for in case of any accident; work/driving/climbing, whatever.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Look into group life insurance through large professional groups, might even be wort joining just to get the insurance. IEEE has been spamming me with insurance offers for over 20 years. — Rex

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The high price from some companies is largely due to their not knowing what the risk figures are, so they CYA big time. Skip them. The very simple solution is to join an alpine club. They negotiate club insurance at a respectable rate. They can do so because they have the membership numbers. Cheers

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

Roger. Thank you. I am looking at the American Alpine Club. Its worth the $80 a year, to have access to all that it offers including insurance and rescue. On another note. Is the Watch this thread ever going to work? It always seems to stop working after 4-5 people comment on a thread. Then you have to manually check it to see if someone commented. So frustrating.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Another option is the Austrian Alpine club which offers good cover. When I moved from Europe to to the US I was able to keepy policy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools