Topic

Lightweight Down Jacket for camp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Down Jacket for camp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Hey Todd: wasn't it you who sang "don't let me down/ don't make me cry/ don't make me blue"? So I thought that you'd tend more towards synthetics…

Todd K.
    BPL Member

@kulbot

Locale: Great Lakes

He also said, "Beatles, women, and children first!", so go figure.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I just ordered the RAB Microlight Parka in L and XL from SAC. I ended up going for it for the following reasons: – More down than MB Alpine Light (4.9 Oz vs 4.3) – DWR down and more water-resistant exterior, should be key in the rainy PNW – Price; SAC had it for only $143, no tax Thanks for all your feedback. I feel if I had a little more time I would have explored different jackets. I'll update everyone how the RAB fits. Great thread, keep the discussion going for general down jacket advice, etc.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

I've never backpacked in cooler weather like this, so I have one more question about what soft shell to wear as my active layer. My base layer will be 150 weight merino T-shirt, so I plan on wearing my OR Ferrosi hoody or Gamma MX jacket the majority of the time during the day. Temp ranges are 50-30 F and a lot of wind, light precip. My original plan was to wear a 150-200 weight long-sleeved shirt but my IB Tech Lite 150 weight T-shirt is so much more comfortable. I'm considering getting a new one in the same style as my T-shirt but that's one more cost to add…

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Here is a series of articles that would be good for you to read at the bottom of Andrew's first article it gives links to his other articles on each core item for you to click on and read Item 1 & 2: Short- and long-sleeve hiking Item 3: Bug shirt Item 4: Running Shorts Item 5 & 6: Pants & Underwear Item 7: Fleece Top Stop Item 8 & 9: Insulated Jacket & Insulated Pants Storm Item 10 & 11: Rain Jacket and Rain Pants Sleep Item 12 & 13: Sleeping Top and Sleeping Bottoms Core Backpacking Clothing || Intro: With just 13 items, go anywhere in 3-season conditions Core Backpacking Clothing || Check lists & systems for 3-season conditions Dave Chenault's take on Andew's Core 13 picks

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

After a little more consideration I realized the Gamma MX is overkill for the conditions, and I'll be wearing an Oasis long sleeved and may not even bring any softshell, but if I do it will be the Ferrosi hoody.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

Another vote for the MB in size L. Hard to beat for the $$. I use a "more recent sizing" Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka from just below freezing to ~0F. Most everyone will need more insulation at some of those temps, but size Large works for me with a 46" chest. Baselayer plus occasionally a Ferrosi hoody is all that I've worn under it, but it should be plenty warm for "normal" people at the temps you mention.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

My wife has been using a Montbell Ultralight Down Inner Parka for a few years, from spring through fall, but wanted something for colder weather. Winter around here isn't that bad — we get plenty of winter weekends where lows don't get below the teens, so we don't need arctic expedition stuff. With much searching, I found the Mountain Equipment Lumina parka, 675 fill down, light shell, good hood, seems well made. Some colors are on sale for less than $140 at Backcountry.com in small and medium women's sizes, and right now they have an additional 20% off coupon on sale items. For the price it's quite a bargain — not the lightest superultralight 900 fill power jacket, but it should work well for her use.

Chris Nott
    Spectator

@chrisn

Locale: Canada west coast

I bought a Montbell synthetic insulated layer perhaps 5-6 years ago. I'm not sure of the model name but the Thermawrap Pro would be the most equivalent item in their current line-up. Seeing as it was getting a bit long in the tooth, I decided to replace it with a new Thermawrap Pro. When I got the new jacket, I was dismayed to find that the cut is completely different. My older jacket fit more like a sweater on me (6'0" 170lbs and slim; both jackets are mediums) with about 3-4 inches of excess around my torso. The new jacket is much wider with about 10-12 inches of excess. I can really tell the difference in warmth: despite having the same amount of original loft, the older jacket feels warmer than the new one. I have recently bought an Arcteryx Atom which fits more like my old Montbell.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools