Topic

Trail running and adventure daypack with laptop sleeve?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trail running and adventure daypack with laptop sleeve?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

I'm having trouble picking out the perfect daypack for my needs, which include day hikes and various forms of travel. The characteristics I am looking for are: – 22-30 L capacity – suitable for trail running (functional hip belt + some kind of minimal back breathability system) – tallish, i.e. approaching 50 cm (20 inches) in length – a laptop sleeve or hydration pocket that will fit a 13" laptop comfortably – two outer side pockets for 1 L water bottles – reasonably light (< 2 lbs / 0.9 kg) – (preferably) a stretchy outer pocket for rain jacket, etc. Do any of you have experience with a daypack like this that you could confidently recommend? Many thanks!

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

I have an old Osprey Talon 22, which meets all of your criteria, I used to use it for mountain runs, I found it acceptable, but not as good as the vest style pack I now use. I could fit my laptop in the hydration sleeve (14" Dell latitude 7440), mine is a Small/Medium but I'm sure they still do a M/L size and also a 30L model. Dave

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Granite gear has a nice selection in their technical packs, like the Athabasca. I tried it out but it was too big for me. They also have campus bags, which may work for you. I ended up getting a Deuter Airlite 27 SL with the slingback. Osprey has their Manta series, which also are really comfy, but I'm not sure how a laptop would fit because the pack has a curve to it.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

I've just ordered the Osprey Talon 22. Thanks!

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

No problem Richard, Dave

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The Osprey Momentum 30 also has a padded laptop compartment. I got it for overseas travel and it works very well. Unfortunately during an airport boarding "inspection" in Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris last May an "inspector must have seen my currency inside the pack during an X-ray scan and lifted it. I discovered it shortly after and filed a complaint but because i had to board my flight for the US soon that was the last I heard of my complaint. Lesson learned. Check your pack for valuables in it IMMEDIATELY upon receiving it at security check and never leave money in carry on baggage OR your wallet. We had to have our wallets X-rayed too. Hmmmm…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools