Topic

Eagle Rock Loop – 3 days, 4 nights

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Eagle Rock Loop – 3 days, 4 nights

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

I did this trip back in August when it was hot. And since then my memory begins to blur things together and form narratives that don't fit into days and miles. I did that in the first days as a way of capturing the memories. But with time I began to form a different way of telling the story, one that is shaped by experiences rather than data. I think this re-telling of my trip will be more about those experiences.

External Links

Detailed Trip Report (Medium): http://bit.ly/1ie8twN Way too many pictures (Flickr): https://flic.kr/s/aHskhcLF49 5 minute video (Youtube): https://youtu.be/OcrIYdlQ18I Map and GPS tracks (Caltopo): http://caltopo.com/m/3Q0D

Preparation

I'd been wanting to do something a little longer than overnight for quite some time, but job restrictions did not allow for it. In fact, I usually get one day off at a time separated by two or three days. Not to mention that being gone too long puts a greater burden on my wife to care for our toddler. So I design my trips around these two considerations. Rarely do I get to pour over my gear all at once and lay it out on the floor so I can gloat over it like a kid. But since everyone was gone for a few days I could. I tend to divide my gear into two: Essential Stuff, which is the core of the kit and I could do a safe trip with just that; and Luxury Stuff, which is anything beyond the core. Skin Out, everything I took. Including camera, GPS, worn items and food. Just over 22lbs. Skin-out Kit The essentials list, just over 5lbs: Essentials List

The Trip

vid start It wasn't until the last day of the trip that I started to take in what the trail was telling me. This trail is about rivers and what happens to them. Day One I started at the Athens – Big Fork Trail which cuts across seven mountains that collect water for several rivers down stream. Along this section I saw little streams that only exist when it rains and crossed muddy puddles of water that oozes out of the ground but not strong enough to be called a spring; they're just folds in the earth where water collects. In the valleys there are small creeks with fresh mountain water. This trail has access to plenty of water. Being from south Louisiana it was a joy to climb mountains and take in the views. In fact, I spent my first night at Eagle Rock Vista, literally on the side of the mountain. My full length CCF pad kept me from sliding. I did wake up a few times to readjust on the slope but it wasn't particularly bothersome since I got to see the Blue Moon of July and Casiopea in the sky. Dawn at Eagle Rock Vista Dawn Tail View Trail View I took the side trail to Brush Heap Mountain. The view was gorgeous. Round Top Mountain, barely visible in the middle, is where I started the trip yesterday. High-res image here: https://flic.kr/p/yDPpoJ This panorama is a video frame composite. At home I matched up the mountains with the view in Caltopo from that location and identified the mountains. Brush Heap Mountain I spent the night on Spirit Rock Vista Spirit Rock Vista Day Two Climbing down from Spirit Rock took me right to the Little Missouri Trail which runs along the Little Missouri River. At this point, where I replenished my water, it is easily crossed by rock hoping. As I progressed and the river collected water from the surrounding mountains, the river grew. Little Missouri River LMR . LMR 2 Roots Roots Armadillo! armadillo The trail is very flat and runs parallel to the river most of the way. I think the sad thing is that this portion of the trail is very littered. Every campsite had trash in and around the fire pit that I presume the next camper was expected to dispose of. Day Three To me this trail was much more interesting. Probably because for some reason I full of energy. Less food in my bag maybe, more varied terrain, who know. But I was energized! I had never seen water coming out of solid rock. spirng rock 2 . spring rock An old cistern: cistern 1 . cistern 2 A view: view 1 . view 2 I drank water from Blaylock Creek when it was a very small body of water. blaylock 1 . Blaylock 2 Energized, I realized that I could make it back to Eagle Rock Vista where I camped the first night. So, I stopped making pictures and pushed to make it to where I started. I was driven to spend on more night in the mountains before returning to the wetlands of south Louisiana. Day Four Heading home. Heading Home

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

What a great trip report. Thanks for sharing. Pics were awesome. No bug issues sleeping out that time of year?

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Nice trip report Richard. Looks like a nice little hike.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Thanks Ryan and George! I was concerned about the bugs too so my clothes and bivy were coated in permethrin. I had very few problems with them. :)

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

cool

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools