Topic

Colorado Trail Closed Because of Bear Selfies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Colorado Trail Closed Because of Bear Selfies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Planning on trying to sneak in a quick zip across the entire Colorado Trail before the high peaks are snowed-in for winter? You can’t — Waterton Canyon, the eastern terminus of the CT, has been closed because people won’t stop taking pictures of themselves with bears there. The last straw came in late August when a bear chased a cyclist, and Denver Water, which oversees the area, closed the park. “We’ve actually seen people using selfie sticks to try and get as close to the bears as possible, sometimes within 10 feet of wild bears,” said Brandon Ransom, Denver Water’s manager of recreation. “The current situation is not conducive for the safety of our visitors or the well-being of the wildlife.” “That’s why…we closed the canyon to the public until the bear activity subsides,” the agency’s blog reported. ;)

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Eric, I can see you're having a 'bear of a day'… Personally, I think they should leave the park open and allow natural selection to run it's course :) billy

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I was going to say that's pretty weird that bears are now taking selfies…

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Another example of busybodies exerting more control where it isn't necessary. As was previously said, let natural selection take its course. It it were an issue of 'bare selfies' they would still try to shut it down.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

If they "left the park open and let nature take its course" somebody is likely to get hurt. Then, the law suits would start flying. The park management would have to spend huge amounts of money either settling or defending. Easier and cheaper to just lock the gates and let the narcissists find another hobby.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

My fav quote "Increased bear activity is common in early fall as they prepare to hibernate, and increased use of selfie sticks by humans is also common as narcissism becomes pervasive."

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Just discussing this issue while eating lunch on a nice day hike today. Piss poor human behavior endangering bears everywhere I guess. To hell with the waiting for natural selection, I would start hunting again if they would just open a "dumb ass" season.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I believe it was just last summer or spring that some teen girl got killed by a grizzly when her parents kept telling her to back closer and closer to the bear to get a pic… natural selection at work. billy

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

There is a bear in the woods. For some people, the bear is easy to see. Others don't see it at all. Some people say the bear is tame. Others say it's vicious and dangerous. Since no one can really be sure who's right, isn't it smart to be as strong as the bear? If there is a bear Couldn't resist.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

These idiots are putting bears lives in danger. See this. http://foxct.com/2015/08/28/sessions…s-black-bears/ Not to ruin the ending but both of these bears were killed.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If a bear hurts a human, it will then be euthanized We won't tolerate other animals challenging our apex position Better to close park to keep the bears safe

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

"These idiots are putting bears lives in danger." or These idiots are killing bears. A Black bear at, of all places, a game preserve, in our area was shot for chasing after trail runners. Hey if you wanna run trails in know bear country by all means go right ahead but don't be surprised if you DO get chased. The bear never harmed either of the runners, just sat there looking at them until they started to run again. Probably was having a grand ol time playing games with the humans…until they shot him. No bear spray, no brains and no regard for wildlife. GD it, I'm really starting to detest the general public. Does it show ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools