Topic

Trash compactor bag. – Really for garbage only now?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Trash compactor bag. – Really for garbage only now?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Greg Flynn
    Spectator

@phoenix07

I have been using heavy duty lawn bags in my pack to waterproof my clothes and sleeping bag. Decided to get some of those trash compactor bags that everyone raves about. Get them home and they have that "fresh odor" smell. Crap! Since I put anything that even might have ever had a scent hanging 10 feet in the air at night, I am thinking these really are garbage. Don't want racoons clawing through my tent while I'm trying to sleep. Not too many bears around here, though. Just thought I would get a second (or third opinion) before I pack my trusty old garbage bag for the weekend. What do you think?

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Yeah, I buy the unscented ones. I hear some say they are tough to find in their area. If so just use what works for you that is unscented. If the garbage bags are the same MIL thickness you will effectively have the same protection and you can cut them down to the size needed to keep your dry stuff dry. jimmyb

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Google "nyloflume" I got some thru gearswap here recently. I've not used them yet, but if they're as tough as reputed they are the ticket for our purposes… lighter weight and much more pliable.

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

The Nylofume bags work great. They fit 50L backpacks perfectly and are quite strong. K

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

This is good news to me. I have wanted a lighter option for some time. Now if I can just source a few outside a box of 100. Thanks all, jimmyb

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

FWIW I found this http://quantumtermite.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=nylofume%20bags 20 bags for $25 but if they are more durable than the compactor bags that's even more than I would need. Still, hard to argue when you can cut the weight of a piece of gear in half.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I have the scented bags as well but if you leave them exposed to the air, they do lose their smell.

kristen buckland
    Spectator

@buckie06

Locale: Colorado

what Donna said, I hang the scented ones on my clothes line for a few days and the scent goes away.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I use large turkey bags for sleeping bag and clothes:Turkey bag Tough enough. No odors. Easy to buy in supermarkets, big box stores, and online. Twist and fold the top. — Rex

Joe
    BPL Member

@typicalsloan

Locale: New England

I use these for my food too. Works great for keeping smells in and they are surprisingly tough.

Rich K.
    Spectator

@scrabbler

The lightly scented compactor bags lose their smell fairly quick. Air them out for a while if you have the time.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I wonder if all of the odor really goes away? You can't smell it, but maybe animals still can?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

lol I was thinking the same thing… Anyone with actual experience using an aired-out scented bag in areas with heavy bear populations?

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Doesn't everything have an odor? Even "unscented" items still have a scent to them. As long as it doesn't smell strongly of food, why would there be an issue?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

As long as it doesn't smell strongly of food, why would there be an issue? I don't know, but it's interesting that items with similar smells, such as toothpaste and antiperspirants, are required to be stored in bear cans.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I was amazed at how tough the Nylofume bags have been… (got mine via GearSwap). I used one as a pack liner and another as a food bag liner for the CT. I assumed that I would have to throw them away after 500 miles, but both bags are in great shape, and probably have — at least — another 500 miles in them!

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"As long as it doesn't smell strongly of food, why would there be an issue?" The scented compactor bags I (accidentally) bought smelled like marshmallows.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

"Anyone with actual experience using an aired-out scented bag in areas with heavy bear populations?" I can't tell if the compactor bags I use have a scent or just smell like plastic. It seems like there's a bit of a light scent. I've used them fresh out of the box in the Cranberry Wilderness of WV on a family trip (2 adults, 4 kids). There were at least 6 bags along, all left in packs in the vestibule of Tarptents. The packs and compactor bags were untouched. On the last night of this 2 night trip, we ate a late dinner. As a result, I didn't clean up camp until after dark. As it was getting dark, I went down to the river to pump-filter about a gallon of water for morning. When I returned, the campsite was dark and the wife and kids were in bed. I began to clean up camp (food and dishes out in the open), and when I shook a trash bag loudly, I heard at least two bears run into the woods. The area is a former black bear sanctuary, but that designation is no longer because of the healthy population. That night, I'm pretty sure I heard a bear shaking branches and jumping or falling in attempts to get our food bag down from the marginal hang. Edit: Also, this was in mid-late September when the bears are most eager to eat.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I'll get a pack of 25 of those bags from the above link, look for a post in the gear swap for the extra. Steve

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Somewhat OT, but the reputed extreme toughness of Nylofume bags has me wondering if anyone has taped 2-3 of them together to make a ground sheet…(?) I could use a much lighter groundsheet for my Duomid. My current Tyvek ground sheet weighs 7.5oz and I'm not quite ready to relent and pony up for a Cuben sheet. I tried Polycryo and did not like it at all on snow — super slippery! But maybe that'll be a problem with Nylofume as well.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Bob, are you using the house wrap or a lighter version tyvek? I dropped a few oz. by using the lighter version tyvek. Not the lightest option as mentioned but it has worked fine for us so far.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Hi, jimmy b! Yep, the tyvek I'm using is the housewrap stuff… definitely heavier than the kite stuff. The polycryo was 2.5 oz vs 7.5 for tyvek… The problem with tyvek is that it freezes and sticks to snow, as there is always some melting beneath the sleep pad even with the best insulation. The lighter tyvek varieties that I've seen have more texture in their surfaces and I'd guess that they stick even more tenaciously to the snow melt beneath the pad. Funny story… I had the bright idea to stick the "hook" side of Velcro to the bottom of the polycryo so it wouldn't slide around on snow. Interestingly, at very low temps (single digits F) the velcro adhesive doesn't stick to polycryo and I had to spend a few minutes chipping out little Velcro squares from the area beneath my sleep pad… LNT and all that, lol! Ah well, the 5oz weight penalty for house wrap isn't such a big deal; otherwise it really has worked out perfectly. Which, of course, isn't going to preclude a test with the Nylofume, lol!

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Yeah, I could see how the lighter stuff might be a problem. Its a bit fuzzy on one side and even the opposite side is more textured as you mention. Maybe a little ski wax would do the trick for a non stick surface :) Used the Nylofume bags you sent and they worked out great. Thanks again!

Rolex .
    Spectator

@rolex

Steve, I'll take half (10) of them. Or only 5 if someone else wants some. Let me know how/where to pay you. Lenny

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

I have found unscented compactor bags at Safeway. But I've found that after much use (several outings) that I'll find a clean, horizontal slit in the bags, as if it has a grain to it. Whether damage from a packed items (which shouldn't happen since there are no unprotected sharp items) or just wear-and-tear, I just don't find that they last very long. Will have to try the turkey bags or Nylofume. Kelly

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools