Topic

Micro Wood Stove for Alpine / Snow Camping, Part 1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Micro Wood Stove for Alpine / Snow Camping, Part 1

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies
    Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

What a tease! Can't wait for the next installment of this one.

Dan Geiger
    Spectator

@strat

Timely topic for me as i have a nemo pentalight with a stove hole that needs a good woodburner.

Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

I know that hot-tenting is against the ultralight mantra, but considering the application is most useful in the winter where a pulk is more than likely to be involved… It's nice to see the definition of ultralight being expanded. Not only it applies to backpacking, hunting, fishing and bikepacking, it's also being expanded to hot-tenting!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I love winter camping. I've used my lamp oil fired lantern to heat my 3 man dome tent a bit but a wood stove should be SO much nicer. So Tim, I think even if you don't happen to figure out the best "small suspended stove" your work will likely inspire others to make improvements. And then the culmination of several people's I'mprovements will be a tent stove we can happily live with and easily carry. Keep working on the design, improving each part of it until you think you have "IT". then please post here.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Keep working on the design, improving each part of it until you think you have "IT". > then please post here. You might like to note that this is labeled 'Part 1' cheers

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I want to see MORE!

tony landrum
    BPL Member

@landrumaaol-com

Locale: Texas

The article started off with "walk into your tent" LOL, that brought tears of joy to my eyes!! Not sure where "hot tenting" is not ultra light came from, kinda of like saying layering is not ultra light. Great article, as a tinkerer myself, I enjoy seeing all the iterations of progress. Sometimes we have to go back to the basics. Thanks for the hard work and persistence yoy put into your projects. / Tony

James Cahill
    BPL Member

@dmatb

Locale: Norf Carl

Now I will go and renew my membership

Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Locale: Monterey Bay

damn what a tease is right now I might have to upgrade to – M I want to read this…

Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

"Not sure where "hot tenting" is not ultra light came from, kinda of like saying layering is not ultra light." There's a lot of debate whether layering and sleeping system designed for cold-camping or pulk, tent and stove is more efficient. What it comes down to is cold-camping is lighter as a kit, but one carries less food with wood-burning stove. Pick your poison. Still trying to calculate how many days without resupply hot-tenting offsets the calorie-consumption of cold-camping. The topic was touched upon in the book Snow Walker's Companion.

Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

" Person bivouacking (camping without a heated tent) needs more energy more often. Their average ration for a person tent/woodstove camping is 2.8 pounds per day; on a bivouac-style snowshoe trip that rises to 3.8 pounds per day. " Found this from a PDF while looking for a reference to the calorie difference between body heat and woodstove. Not sure where the citation comes from since the author didn't provide references. Mind you, one need to count the weight of the axe or folding stove, the cost of time procuring wood and so so on. http://www.manuellisaparty.com/articles/pfd's/Winter%20Trekking%20Food.pdf

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

Every spare second I get from work I day dream about my fall and winter adventures and the type of stove I will build to accompany me and my pals. I have built a handful of rocket stoves and was dreaming up one that would act as the cob couch heated rocket barrel stoves. The design (based on what I have lying around)would be a narrow necked 64oz stainless bottle, upside down with a normal sized stainless bottle inserted up in a perfectly cut hole (where the neck was) but stopped by rivets to not touch the top (and be cleanable), like the barrel stove. The base of the normal bottle that petrudes out the bottom would have the intake hole on one side with a half cone of stainless foil strapped to the whole stove to act as an auto feeder, as well as carbon fiber to insulate the opposite and bottom side of the intake slightly. A chimney port on the side of the 64oz would go sideways at a slight angle so that the chimney could go out a door or along side a sleeper or two and provide more heat instead of just going straight up and out with the smoke. The stick in the ground idea is brilliant, maybe some of those metal adjustable ziptie like bands would weigh less and provide more customizing in foundation widths. Something to note incase it can be utilized, is that a large portion of heat is expelled out anytime there is a elbow in the exhaust, which requires it to be cleaned more often too

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Ideally the combustion air should come in a buried pipe from outside the tent to the firebox to keep from sucking warmed tent air into the firebox and up the chimney. This is how the plains Indians did it (with a capped trench to the outside)

But then that would be more weight to haul – but less fuel needed to stay warm. .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools