Topic

Trail running shoes vs waterproof breathable.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Speed Hiking and Fastpacking Trail running shoes vs waterproof breathable.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Wong
    BPL Member

@kayak4water

Locale: Pacific NW

For my section hiking, I may revise my foot wear due to severe cold feet that plagued me walking past wet brush that had grown over the trail. I may switch from non waterproof trail shoes to waterproof breathable with rain chaps (or gaiters) and a rain skirt. Comments? Thank you!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

if it's really cold (below 20 or so) or wet snow, I like "waterproof" ("waterproof" shoes aren't breathable, they are warmer however) trail runners, barring that- breathable trail runners are better in my experience if your feet are cold in warmer temps, try thicker (and taller) wool socks or even gore-tex socks (over a thin sock) gaiters should be worn regardless of what shoe

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

How cold was it when walking through the brush? What kind of socks were you wearing? I find the key is thick wool socks. I mean really thick, thick enough you might need to go up half a size in shoes. I have a pair of rocky goretex socks and I think they are way more reliable than waterproof shoes. You can take them off and cross streams instead of carrying crossing shoes. Waterproof gaiters are pretty much mandatory.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools