Topic

Garmin CPSmap 60CSx $229 at Dicks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Garmin CPSmap 60CSx $229 at Dicks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Robert Head

@bobhead

My local Dick's Sporting Goods has the 60CSx bundle (unit, case, cable, Topo map software) for $229 and a $50 rebate on top of that. For comparison, Walmart sells the unit and case for $350.

Couple of notes: At the the register, the price comes up as $499. Quick call back to the department fixed that. The in-store rebate notice said $30. I downloaded a $50 Garmin coupon from http://www.amazon.com.

Best I can figure, they are dumping these because the included software is out of date. Big deal. I downloaded the free update as soon as I got home.

Not exactly a UL item but a good deal on a GPS.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Where are you located? I've never heard of Dick's.

I called Dick's in Phoenix and they didn't have the 60CSx on sale. They did have the Etrex Venture HC Bundle on sale last week for $155. No sale this week, it's now $229.98 with a $30.00 mail-in rebate. The Phoenix guy said he got one at $155 and it gets a position inside the store. What do you think of this model?

I have very limited GPS knowledge.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

That's a really smoking deal. The great thing about the 60 and 76 CSX is their sensitivity: You have to try really hard to find a place these won't find the satellites.

Nice catch!

Robert Head

@bobhead

Denis

The Dicks where I made this purchase is in Opelika, AL. This is my first GPS so I'm no expert. Seems to have all the bells and whistles. Easily gets a fix inside my house. The included software and maps looks decent for outdoor activities. So far, not all that impressed with what it can do for "turn-by-turn" street directions but that's not what this unit was meant for.

I still think this has be a case of Garmin or Dicks dumping this particular bundle because of the included (now discontinued) US Topo maps.

Lon Cooper
    BPL Member

@halfmile

Locale: San Diego

Robert,

If you really want to do turn-by-turn street directions on the Map60CSx you can buy Garmin City Navigator software.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavnt.jsp

Shahrin Bin Shariff
    BPL Member

@zzmelayu

Locale: In the shadow of Table Mountain

>>So far, not all that impressed with what it can do for "turn-by-turn" street directions but that's not what this unit was meant for.

Robert, I had this model since 2003 and it has served me very well. To use it as a street navigational, you need the MapSource map mentioned above.

The unit is a compromise between a handheld and a vehicle unit. I have used it as both. It is too small to use as a dedicated vehicle GPS but it works well. It is too big as a UL GPS but it works well. I now use the Forerunner 101 as my UL GPS and the GPSmap 60 as my vehicle/travel unit.

You got a good deal at Dicks (I paid almost $500 for it in 2003).

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I have this model and it tracks me as I walk from room to room in my house, upstairs or down stairs! Enough said!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Yowza!

Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

There's also a good deal on this unit at the abe's of maine website. I think it's $265 with free shipping. I'm watching one on ebay for $180, as well.

Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

Just realized that this is NOT the model w/ the electronic compass and altimeter. If I'm gonna throw down this much money I want those features. So Robert, think you could pick me up one?

Lon Cooper
    BPL Member

@halfmile

Locale: San Diego

Anyone looking for a GPS might want to take a look at the new Garmin Etrex Vista HCx too. I picked one up a few weeks ago when REI had them on sale for $220.

I also have the Map 60CSx. They are both great units but the Vista is lighter (5.2 oz v. 6.7 oz with lithium batteries) and a more compact size. The Vista is rated by Garmin to have almost 50% greater battery life from a set of AA batteries. I have only had a chance to use the Vista Hcx a few times, but it seems like a great little unit so far.

The Garmin 60CSx is fantastic, if you don't mind the slightly larger size.

The new Vista HCx now pretty much matches the 60Csx in features and performance. Since the high-end 60 series has been matched by a lower-end Etrex Vista model, it seems possible that an improved 60 series model might be in the works, but I am only guessing about this and Garmin has not announced anything new.

The geocachers over at http://forums.groundspeak.com/ have many discussions about both these gps's if you want more information.

-Lon

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools