Topic

Trip Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Trip Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

I'm planning a trip for this coming summer–late July 2008. Lately, I've become interested in hiking at high altitudes, mostly due to photos and stories I've read in these forums.

I've never done this type of hiking before–just a high pass here and there on the way to other destinations.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a trip in which I could do much of my hiking above tree-line, along high ridges and so forth? I would be traveling ultralight and technical climbing (ropes, etc) would not be an option. The trip would last about a week, depending on itinerary.

Any place in the rockies would be good, but ideal if within 5 to 6 hours of Salt Lake.

As always, thanks for your helpful comments,
    David

Neil Bender

@nebender

The closest area that might provide what you are looking for would be the Uintas. I've never hiked there, so I don't know how much of the trails are above tree line but a cursory look seems like that might be a promising area. Another area they stays up high is the Continental Divide Trail particularly through the Weminuche Wilderness in SW Colorado.

For good summer weather the High Sierras are probably the best place to start. I had an ultralight trip in the Weminuche shut down after only one day by a freak snow storm in early September. Hiking earlier in the season presents afternoon thunderstorms with thrilling lightening activity. Wherever you go, think about exit routes should you need to bail out.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools