Topic

Zipping bags together

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zipping bags together

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Hey guys, I feel a bit challenged here.
    How do you zip two bags together? I have a WM bag (right zip, 6'0) and a Montbell bag (6'6 left zip), both have YKK zippers. Any instructions out there??? So much for my handyman qualities. Or are there other technical/compatibility issues??
    Thanks!
    S.

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Firstly the zips need to be indentical and should fully part. A YKK 5 zip for instance wont fit a YKK 3 zip. Secondly you need one SB with a right zip and one with a left zip otherwise one person will end up with two hoods, the other with none (assuming you'll sleep with two persons in the bags, you lucky B ;)).

You're best bet is to buy two slppeingbags from the same brand, but since you already have two my guess is you wont be able to fit them togeteher.

You could sew in two identical zips, or let a sewing shop do so for you.

Good luck, Eins

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Hey Eins,
    thanks for your comment. They both have YKK 3 zippers; what do you mean by "they should fully part"?
    Thanks,
    S.

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Well I was already wondering about how to explain that. I know the Dutch word, but I guess your Dutch is a bit rusty. I'll try explain:

A jacket has a zipper that when unzipped exists of two halfs so you can get into the jacket easily. If the zipper wouldn't be able to part you'd sorta have to step into your jacket. Contrary the zipper of a pocket usually doesn't part. I hope this is clear, if not I'll just mke photos.

Same goes for the SB's if the two halfs of each zipper won't part you cant zipp the bottom halfs or the top halfs of both SB's together.

Eins

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Eins is right.

Unzip the sleeping bag all the way. At the very bottom, you will notice that the zipper separates into two pieces, like a jacket. One side of the zipper will have the slider(s).

(Many bags, including I think both of yours, have double-slider zippers, so you can ventilate from the bottom. This slightly complicates things, but it still works the same.)

Now place the bags side by side. If this is going to work at all, you'll find that the slider on one bag is on the bottom side of the zipper, and the slider of the other bag is on the top. Hook up the two bottom zippers and zip them all the way up. This will give you a single large bag with two hoods on the bottom. Now connect the top zipper sections, get in the bag with your friend, and zip it up.

If the sliders are on the wrong sides, it won't work. If you don't have separating zippers, it won't work. If the zippers are very slightly different, it won't work. If it seems to work but feels very stiff when zipping up, you might want to skip it.

Finally, note that this set up is colder, in general, than separate bags.

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

>>Finally, note that this set up is colder, in general, than separate bags.<<

Not having ever slept in two zipped together SB's I doubt that this set up is colder. The shared body heat add tons of warmth, though there usually is more open space at the top of the bag where warmth may be lost.

Eins

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

We've done the zipped-together thing. It's not possible to snug down the hood, so you end up losing a lot of heat out the top of the bag(s), plus every time someone moves, a large draft of cold air is sucked inside. Given that my spouse is always cold, we just use separate bags now .

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Ken is right: the opening at the top lets in so much cold air! We did the zipping up of bags together when we first met, and that lasted one winter. The other problem is if one of us rolled over, the other was woken up. Argh! All night long, flip flop, flip flop……

As well I am a foot shorter than my husband, so our bags even though the same model looked like a circus freak setup! My bag was so much shorter.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

I concur on the negative points of two in one bag. It's not warmer.

Movement is doubled with two so the cold air sucking – I never want to do this again with you I hate you why did you drag me into this freezing hell – draft is experienced twice as often.

ha

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Agreed!

2 zipped-togeter bags…….sensual perhaps; but warm NOT. Better is use 2 separate bags, then spoon. Compressed insulation between you does allow for some heat transfer via conduction.

2 under a quilt…..most excellent, dude!

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

Doesn't the quilt have even more chance of leaking heat?

(Edit: i.e. Quilt still has a big hole at the top too and poeple still move in their sleep under a quilt?)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools