Topic

Right Guard Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Right Guard Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Casey Cardwell
    BPL Member

@niles

Locale: On the Dirt in Oregon

Here's a fun and easy little stove. It's made from this bottle from Walmart (or wherever):

Right Guard Bottle

To make it I made a couple cuts to take a center section out, popped out the spray mechanism, drilled a few side holes, then inverted the top and inserted it into the base.

Here's a picture of the flame pattern and the stove from a couple diff't perspectives:

Flame Pattern

The dirty] stove

Looking at the inside

If I was going to do it again, I'd definitely make it a bit smaller, and I'd add a few more holes. Right now there are 16.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Casey,

certainly looks interesting!
    Did you have any crazy gas expulsion when you first punctured the can?
    What sort of performance are you getting out of it?
    By the looks of it you are only using it as a pressurised side burner?

Adam

Casey Cardwell
    BPL Member

@niles

Locale: On the Dirt in Oregon

Hey Adam,

Yeah, only a pressurized side burner. And I'm actually not sure of how well it performs just yet. The only thing I've used it for so far is making a bunch of char cloth. I'll see if I can't get some specs on it tomorrow. I think it might actually have a problem with over heating…we'll see.

As for emptying the can, I wasn't brave enough to just puncture the thing so I sat with it for several long minutes while holding the button down…all the while apologizing to mother earth!

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Yeah, I wouldnt be keen on puncturing a full can either-I can imagine that would be rather dangerous with an extreme amount of pressure release from a small hole, and or a flammably explosive situation!

You do have an idea though, using old deoderant cans and the like. I might see if I still have one or two at home. The cans are different to yours, but…

Jonathan Duckett
    BPL Member

@thunderhead

Locale: Great Smoky Mountains

Have you tested this yet? it looks interesting.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

that tapered top looks like it would have made it easier to insert, no?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools