Topic

short article by Heather “Anish” Anderson on training for a FKT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Speed Hiking and Fastpacking short article by Heather “Anish” Anderson on training for a FKT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

http://gossamergear.com/wp/training-for-a-record-setting-hike?utm_source=Newsletter+Subscribers+-+Combined&utm_campaign=16ae91cbd8-GG_8_28_158_26_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bda6bed9e7-16ae91cbd8-197822965&mc_cid=16ae91cbd8&mc_eid=8421e99ec3 nothing very specific, but does talk quite a bit about the mental aspects of a FKT attempt my own anecdotal experience is that specificity is very important; my partners in the Bob Marshall Open were both more accomplished ultra runners (younger too :) ), but I had spent a lot more time in the winter with snowshoes and a pack on. I think this helped me immensely and I think I have them convinced for this upcoming year that lots of time on the feet (w/ and w/o snowshoes) with a pack will help them as well.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Agree. Last year I spend most of the year on a local mountain that has a lot of up and downs. I put extra water in my pack for weight and climbed/ran it twice a week. When Going back in to the Alps during the summer the steep climbs there didn't bother me at all, neither did the height. Made a huge difference on my time, even with the bit heavier pack full of food. I also think that however much I love people going for an FKT, I find more pleasure in PR's (Personal Records) – pushing yourself and doing a trail or climb or run as fast as you can, or to see if you can go faster than you previously could.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I like reading about them, learning from them and getting inspiration from them, but the likelihood of me attempting a FKT is near zero :) I simply like to cover a lot of country, soaking in as much as I can. I do run Ultra events, but I'm picky- they have to be in nice areas and I'm usually content with finishing. They do help me focus my training, but my heart has always been with my "adventure" runs/hikes

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

for most of us its called the PFKT (personal fastest known time). and going for one with the right attitude can be just as intense and exciting. plus you only have to worry about one person ever beating your record …

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

delete, double entry for some reason.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools