Topic

Tarptent StratoSpire 1 fly only

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent StratoSpire 1 fly only

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Sometime ago I suggested to Henry that the SS1 and 2 would make a nice fly only shelter for those in non bug infested areas. So he made those available but, given that we always have bugs here, I never did much about it myself. Prompted by some comments on another thread ,here are some shots to give some idea of how the SS1 fly only looks as a shelter for the very tall. The two mats combined are 6'8" long , there is a bit extra room for the sb at either end but not much. Still those ends would be the last to have any condensation. The shoe box is 34cm (13") square. SS1 p SS1 r SS1 L Sit up room is no problem but next time I'll take a smaller chair SS1 sit up room BGW, if I were 6'8" I would get the Double Moment.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Pretty nice. What's the weight?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

it's a standard garden chair , probably around 6 lbs. (sorry about that,Daryl, it's just under 10 lbs) 20oz.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Thanks for taking the time to do this Franco. I'm tempted I have to say. It looks like a very stable and roomy shelter for me and missus shorty. Just a bit tight on sleeping length for me though at 6'8". My Hex 3 has 108" corner to corner (vs 102" for the SS1) and weighs 26.45oz fly only (in a heavier and less saggy-when-wet silnylon). A perimeter/1door mesh and polycro groundsheet would add about 6 oz to either I guess. 8×8" stakes will add up too of course. Nice though. Double moment: Hmmm. 52oz is the same as the Hex 3 + 2p bugtent + stakes + Lightrek pole + extender.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

"My Hex 3 has 108" corner to corner (vs 102" for the SS1) and weighs 26.45oz fly only (in a heavier and less saggy-when-wet silnylon). " Yes and the SS1 has more usable length than the Hex 3 for 1 person. For two reasons : it starts at 14" high not at almost ground level there is no pole in the middle therefore you can better utilise the widest area for your mat I set the Hex up at 110" wide (found that on a few different sites, and the SS1 as I normally do. (poles at 66" for the Hex, 47" for the SS1) Here is what you get : Hex 3 vs SS1 BTW note that the SS1 supported corner slopes outwards in a real set up so tip to tip distance is wider than at the base.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Nice Franco! An elegant solution. As Fr. Guido Sarducci (of Saturday Night Live) would say, "Notta too bad, notta too bad, my son." (I couldn't resist, you being a Pisano. ;o)

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Thanks again Franco, a most interesting comparison. A few points: 1) The Hex starts a few inches off the ground too, so you're a bit low at the 110" extremities. 2) The SS 1 is ~106" across the strutted corners; so your carbon strut bottom-corners are too far apart. (Maybe you can stretch it a bit though if you float the vestibule corners up?) 3) The SS I poles should be in line fore and aft of the Hex 3 pole there, lessening the angle from rear main-pole to corner top. As per Henry's diagram: .:-). The length of side on the Hex 3 is 55" vs 51" on the SS 1 Here's a photo of our MYOG inner-net inside our Hex 3. The standard length prolite by the pole is pretty much centred between the corners: .Hex 3 bugtent. All in all, we'll have to live with the extra 6oz of the Hex 3 for duo use. I still like the look of the SS 1 for solo use, but I'd need to actually lie down and sit up under the fly before I could decide whether to splash the cash for one. It's a pity you cropped photo 1 so heavily. I'd have liked to have seen how much headroom there is above the head-end of the sleeping bag. From photo 3 it looks like just enough.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

The info here is for people that are interested in the product, not directed at you in particular but prompted by your comments. SS1 hex comp From one end to the other (outside corner of each end) the SS1 set up the standard way is about 110" long, so similar to the Hex3 . That the SS1 is set up the standard way can be seen by the ridge line. If the two ends are stretched out the pole tip to pole tip apex line would have a pronounced curve. The red pole segment inside is at 55" , where it would be if the pole was used perpendicularly. Still it is obvious that you can keep the SS1 poles straight up as they are meant to be and have a wide mat in between them. Keeping the SS1 fly set up like that I can't have the Hex line from raised stake (3" off the ground) to pole top at the exact angle but it is close enough. SS1 long mat This is another look at the SS1 with a 6'8" mat inside. There is a bit more room at each end (not fully centered) The neighbour's cat verified the size but you can do it yourself by putting a 1L Nalgene at the end of a 6' mat. (8" tall if you don't have one) *we have done this raised ends vs to the ground before, remember ? http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=20860

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Excellent, thanksfor the additional info. Looking carefully at Henry's diagram, you can see in the plan view that the SS-1 isn't a regular hexagon, and is a bit longer across the strutted corners. But I still say the SS-1 poles should have been fore and aft of the Hex 3 pole. You can see from Henry's diagram that the ridgeline is at right angles to the long corner to corner axis between the cf strutted corners. I'm off to the Lake district and the weather is fine! Cheers!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

"But I still say the SS-1 poles should have been fore and aft of the Hex 3 pole. You can see from Henry's diagram that the ridgeline is at right angles to the long corner to corner axis between the cf strutted corners." They are, you just can't see that. The white rope is the Hex floor not the orientation of the SS1 in that shot.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools