Topic

Scents for high Sierra trout fishing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Scents for high Sierra trout fishing?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I've done a bit of surf fishing recently and the research I read recommended using scented bait. In my limited experience they work well. It makes me wonder if I should be using scents while trout fishing in the high Sierra (Inyo NF/Sequia). Last time I was in Sport Chalet, I noticed they sell a Pro Cure trout scent. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the stuff or similar? http://pro-cure.com/store/bait-scent-products/scents/super-gels/trout-kokanee-magic-super-gel.html I notice it contains anise and corn. I think that type of stuff works well for hatchery fish (that grew up on corn), but I've heard it doesn't work as well for wild trout.

Anonymous
    Inactive

" I think that type of stuff works well for hatchery fish (that grew up on corn), but I've heard it doesn't work as well for wild trout." You don't need that kind of thing up in the Sierra. If you're spin casting, just bring a few of the smallest Panther Martins and/or Mepps. If you're fly casting, bring maybe 3 patterns, e.g. Adams, Mosquito, Black Gnat in sizes 12-18, with tippets to match, and you'll do just fine. Assuming you have a modicum of experience and ability, and are a few miles away from the TH ponds and streams. The fish are generally hungry 24/7 and not too picky, IME.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I have used corn – for planted Kokanee, in larger lakes. High backcountry lakes require only lures. A Mepps, a needlefish, a Bouyant, a rooster tail, and a plain old spinner for me. A selection of flies – hopper, black ant, stimulator, caddis, mosquito, wooly bugger, bead head nymph – a bobber, a few split shot, a spin cast reel with a pack rod, dinner time!

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Thanks Tom and Lori, Your experiences match mine. Those are the lures I use and usually they work well. Though, I was up there in August once. The mosquitos were thick and the trout would just watch the lures spin past. I was wondering if anyone has tried scents but it sounds like most don't consider it worth it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"The mosquitos were thick and the trout would just watch the lures spin past." I've had that happen several times, mosquitos or no. My experience is that you'll get better results with flies as a general rule.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

And I have swapped trebles out to single hooks. Catch and release only areas abound, and trebles wreck fish. Barbless is required – I use my forceps to pinch down barbs. Wigsons lures rock.

Dave T

@davet

Thanks for all the good suggestions and info. Still have to get over to the east side with the kayak. Too busy catching lingcod in the ocean to think about catching little trout. :) But a long week of fishing lakes and camping is definitely on the agenda. And yes, trebles are bad. I swap them out too, though not on the smallest of spinners. Got some guidance online about suggestions for what to swap out or not, and sizing for single hook replacements.

Kenneth D
    Spectator

@turboken77

try the Thomas buoyant spoons they are the best

Barry Foster
    BPL Member

@bazzer

Locale: Redding

Bloody hell, scents for fly fishing? You must be the worlds worst fly fisherman and desperate!

Barry

fly fishing guide for twenty two years

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools