Topic

cone spin….maybe?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear cone spin….maybe?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

I have been thinking about how to make a cone set up for my Heiney pot with materials that i already have. I have wire mesh, foil and the Heiney pot. Two questions: does anyone see why this wouldn't work (a cone made of wire mesh covered in foil) and would this have to be cone shaped (what about the regular style wire mesh pot stand with all but the bottom wrapped in foil, bottom not wrapped so stove can breathe)?

Just a thought, mostly out of laziness to not want to go buy the proper aluminum.

Also, if this won't work I would like to hear some idea of why not. I would like for this idea to work (because it seems to me that this would pack better), but something tells me that this won't.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

The Caldera Cone works because the pot rim, being larger than the pot, sits on top of the cone. The Heineken can's rim is not the widest diameter of the can. Perhaps you might do a couple of wraps of fiberglass wick material at the top of the widest part of the can. Still, I'd advise getting some of the proper aluminum for the cone. The right tool for the job – and all that.

Now that I think of it, the proper height of a cone might be taller than would fit in your pot.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I presume you've been looking over this (Heineken Cone)

Anyhow, the only worry I have about the mesh is it holding up sturdy in a cone shape.

Now, realize the key to the caldera is not that it's 'cone shaped' it's that they've worked all the kinks out.

That having been said, pretty much anything'll work okay… you might as well play with the design and see what you come up with…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools