Topic

Fishermen like their shelters to be spatious and tough

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fishermen like their shelters to be spatious and tough

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Look at the specs for this "one man" shelter.

16mm alloy poles
    90" x 114" x 54" high.
    210 D 5000 HH cloth

£80 (!) Are you reading this Hilleberg owners?

cyprinus2

The downside is the weight at 6.5Kg, but given that you could sleep 4 (or more?) in this with gear in the winter it's not so bad split between a group or for car/canoe camping.

http://www.tacklediscounts.co.uk/products/1-man-carp-fishing-shelter-day-bivvy-coarse-brolly-waterproof-tent-ground-sheet

If you'd like an extra overwrap 5000 HH flysheet to make it double skin, they do one of those too.

http://www.tacklediscounts.co.uk/products/cyprinus-overwrap-for-quick-e-fast-erect-bivvy-also-chub-s-plus-s-plus-max

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

is that a bed in there???

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Car camping? Aight.
    Hunters on snowmobiles? Aight.
    but imagine trying to find a suitable site on the [insert name of favorite trail here].

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Jennifer, Yes, anglers do glamping in style obviously. Pretty fat looking sleeping bag on top of it too!.

John, more an option for wilderness group camping where ultralight shelter failure isn't an option. That tent is crying out for a stove boot. Just the thing for a happy bunch of friends at the dark end of a winter's evening.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

"The downside is the weight at 6.5Kg, but given that you could sleep 4 (or more?)"

I doubt very much that you could sleep 3 in there.
    The dimensions appear good enough for 4 except that those are the widest points. it isn't a rectangular shape.
    If you put a stove in there you will hardly have space for one for sleeping.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Hi Franco,

My "zero man" boiler room will be arriving in a few days and I have a bunch of old standard size sleeping pads so we'll be able to get photographic confirmation of how much room there is.

Ti Goat make small portable stoves more than capable of heating this 71 square foot single skin tent.

The more pressing issue is that it looks like the pole sections will need cutting in half and ferrules fitting. Anglers and their wheelbarrows eh?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

"Ti Goat make small portable stoves more than capable of heating this 71 square foot single skin tent."
    yes I know about those stoves, I made my own…
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_tn9EMibWA

However note that the TiGoat Vertex 1 with stove (similar area to the one in this thread) is for 1 person only.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Nice stove!

To be fair, the tipis made by Ti Goat aren't really comparable, because the sides slope a lot to the apex. This anglers hut will allow sleeping pads much closer to the perimeter dimensions at the base of the tent.

I couldn't find a "Vertex 1 with stove" on their tent page, do you have a link?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Sorry, it was meant to be Vertex 5
    ( I had the 1 person thing in mind)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

For all the fuss, you would think the thing would have a floor and windows!

Cabelas has some canvas tents up to 18'x15' and just 133 pounds for a paltry $2500 US. I was looking at another that comes with 13 pounds of STAKES. Another world to be sure.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

You have to buy the extra flysheet to get the window. :-(
    They are throwing the fitted groundsheet in with the main tent though. :-)

I like the way the entire front zips off. I see possibilities for an extended light(er)weight vestibule to take instead when accommodating larger parties.

cyprinus 3

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

The anglers 'bivvy' arrived this morning. I just put it up in the back yard to check it over. As I unpacked it, I checked the weight of the stake bag. 1.06Kg (!) So best part of 2lb can be shaved off the carry weight immediately with some alloy stakes. There are hefty steel rings at all the 14 pegging points which could be exchanged for dyneema loops too. The groundcloth is a fairly cheap waterproofed woven brattish, but it'll do the job it has velcro strips which join to a 4" skirt attched to the bottom of the tent body. The tent-cloth is heavy guage and PU proofed – I'll test how waterproof later. The 16mm (5/8") poles are impressive. Nice to have such chunky supports for such an inexpensive tent. I guess it's because there might be nowhere for guyouts on the riverbank. Anyway, the issue at hand is how much space there is in there. I said it'd sleep four and Franco disagreed. Here's a photo: .:-)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools