Topic

Does Pertex Shield kill breathability?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Does Pertex Shield kill breathability?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    P S

@petesull

From my understanding, there are essentially two kinds of Pertex Shield: one is a dwr-like coating of microporous PU with a hydrophilic PU layer on top. This has a terrible MTVR of around 8000.

The other Pertex Shield, which I've yet to see, is more like 3-layer goretex, but a hydrophilic PU laminate.

Does the Pertex Shield coating really stop the breathability of Pertex fabrics? Is Shield on all Pertex Fabrics?

The reason I ask is because some retailers show the Montane Extreme as Pertex 6 with Shield.

Also, what is the difference between Shield and Endurance?

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Peter,
    my guess is that the Shield mentioned in combination with Pertex 6 refers to the old Pertex Shield which was supposed to be a DWR-treatment. After Perseverance Mills, owner of the Pertex-brand, went bankrupt, the Shield project was killed. The new owner of the Pertex brand, Mitsui, has revived the Shield name for a new waterproof breathable product which has nothing to do anymore with the previous DWR-treatment.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools