Topic

10 oz chair hammock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 10 oz chair hammock

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/781119745/chammock-original
    Thought this was an intriguing idea and signed up.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I'm in too. Seems like a great compromise between a log at 0 oz and my Chair One at 29 oz.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Same weight/bulk, already existed for some years now.
    http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p446/Bushman_Hammock_Chair.html

Also, any hammock functions as a chair you can sit up in.

Jake S

@spags

But..every hammock is a chair! Even the super "tiny" paper-light hammocks that probably aren't comfortable to sleep in because they're way too short to get a diagonal lie can make a great chair.

You can get a tree straps + suspension + single hammock from hummingbird hammocks that weights 7ish oz. Although, that is $40 more.

I'm not trying to poo-poo this idea, it just seems like a kinda unnecessarily specific item.

Tim Skidmore
    Spectator

@timskidmore

Locale: Canadian Atlantic coast

+1 to what Jake said.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

I've used hammocks as chairs (including a 7 oz set up I have) but don't like them because you are leaning back too far. It looks to me like the chammock has an upright sitting posture which is important to me. YMMV

Jake S

@spags

Let me know how it is when you get it. IMO everyone in their promo photos looks kinda hunched over (except for this tiny kid!) which is kinda the opposite of what I'm looking for in a chair.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

This chair looks really nice. I agree, it looks a lot more comfortable than a regular hammock. I have a Ground Chair that I bring on more camping heavy hikes. I love it but still a little heavy. 35oz? My only reservation about this "chair" is your location is dependent on trees. On my camping heavy hikes it's about sitting around the fire, lake, stream… On trips where I'm hiking all day, a log will suffice. Same goes with camp shoes.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

The busman's chair can be hung at different angles and heights for different types of back support, different levels of support, and if you have good balance it can be a comfy napping place.

Those chairs (it isn't the first of its kind) are harder to get out of.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Guess I'll find out. Rewatching the video it looked very easy to get out of. Possibly a little different than the similar chairs you've experienced, Lori?

Steve Chan
    BPL Member

@sychan

Locale: SF Bay Area

This is very different from the Bushman hammock chair, because you have to straddle the Bushman, so you can swing side to side but not front and back like a rocker. And it isn't the same as a sleeping hammock used for sitting in – this Chammock thing has a *very* asymmetric cut, where one side is definitely for supporting your back and the other is definitely for supporting your buttparts. You could try to simulate it with a very short ridgeline on a short hammock hung high up, then then your arms would get squeezed up against you – which they get around in this design with arm hole cutouts.
    Its pretty clever, but I agree that it is a little specialized. I usually have a hammock for the kids to play in and to lay down and read in, and if I'm serious about hanging, I also have a Blackbird that the kids aren't allowed to jump around in.

A design that might make more sense would be a common ridgeline that is setup something like a daisychain, with 2 sets of attachment point where you can hang a hammock body, at the further apart attachment points, or clip in one of these chair things on a close in set of attachment points. Getting the mosquito netting figured out would be a little fussy.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Anyone got their “Chammock” yet? How is it?

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Hummingbird makes hammocks that are 5.2 oz (6.3 oz with tree straps) and only $75.  They’re small, not really suited to camping, but that’s lighter than these “specialized” hammock-chairs.  Or there are those cheap mesh ones on the military surplus sites, though you’d have to put straps on them because those rough nylon ropes would scar trees.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Yes, Dean, I know there are lightweight hammocks; however, I don’t think they make very good chairs. This idea seemed interesting

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

This is very different from the Bushman hammock chair, because you have to straddle the Bushman, so you can swing side to side but not front and back like a rocker.

Um, no. You do not HAVE to straddle the Bushman. I assure you that is quite a lot different than you are thinking it is… I could easily fall asleep in the Bushman, with a small underquilt and a small modification for supporting the feet, using my top quilt.

I have used the Bushman like a rocking chair. It’s my favorite way to use it.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

It hasn’t arrived yet. Sounds like they are ready to ship though.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Looks like they are getting quite close to shipping.  Standard start-up/Kickstarter delays seem to be in effect :)

I tend to disagree with those who claim it is not all that different from what is/has been currently available, but then I have been known to be mistaken in the past. Since all we have to go on are marketing photos/descriptions, I guess we will see. Looking forward to taking delivery of my Chammock and testing it out.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Me too. I’m pretty sure it’ll be more than 10 oz though with all the reinforcing they’ve been doing.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I’m very intrigued by these and, while I haven’t ordered one yet, I am looking forward to when they’re available.  I emailed them regarding when they’d start shipping and received this response within 24 hours:

Hey Kevin ,

First of all , We want to thank you very much for being patient.

We went to the factory and check with the schedule last day. They will finish the work some time next week.We will need to do the quality inspection one by one after we received it. We will post the update when I am ready for shipment , I think it will be in the last week of April.

Sorry for the delay again.

Best , Hans

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

It will most definitely not be the 10 oz from the original specs :)

But…I plan on ditching al the supplied extras, keeping just the chammock itself and putting together a UL suspension.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Has anyone else received their chammock? Mine arrived last week. I put together a UL suspension with amsteel, webbing and toggles from dutchware. Total system weight is 12 oz.

i really like it. Very comfortable, but time will tell how durable it is.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

So…nobody else has received or used their Chammock?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!