Topic

Spreadsheet Tool — Planning a 5 or 6 sided mid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Spreadsheet Tool — Planning a 5 or 6 sided mid

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

I've gotten the bug and have started to organize, document and share all my tools and projects so here's another.

I created this tool because I had 10 yards of 64" wide silnylon laying around and I wanted to make the largest mid possible using that fabric. This was the means to calculate that and determine what pattern would work best.

The areas in RED can be changed to manipulate the rest of the document (no GREEN text so fear not if you're colorblind)

Check out the "SQFT AREA CALCULATOR" to determine how much space you will have at various heights

Jordo_99's Hexagon and Pentagon Tent calculator

Feel free to take a look and play around with it or post comments on there for improvements or things that may not be working right.

The document is able to be edited so please be careful…I did save a copy though if something breaks.

Alternatively, you can save your own copy (File > Download As > [File Type]) or even just copy/paste the whole thing into your own spreadsheet program.

-Jordan

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Excellent spreadsheet, Jordo.  Was just reading through your tipi build on Reddit and saw the link to BPL so I figured I’d come over here and check out the usefulness of the sheet.  I saved a copy for myself although being the owner of both a Ti Goat tipi and a Golite Shangri-La 3 I’m not sure if I’ll ever bother to sew my own.

David Hicks
    BPL Member

@davidalex

I just stumbled across this looking for help in building my 6-sided pyramid, similar to the one you showed in the earlier thread. Can you explain what Pattern (L) and Pattern (H) mean? My understanding of constructing a 6-sided ‘mid is to cut six congruent isosceles triangles… I just don’t know the height of those triangles. Any help?

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

Dang…I’m really late to respond to this. I’m sorry for that, David. You probably don’t still need the answer but I’ll give it for anybody else in the future:

——————————

Tent (W) 108.00 in
    Tent (L) 93.53 in
    Tent (H) 78.00 in

Tent (W) – widest measurement of the floor through the center-point
    Tent (L) – narrowest measurement of the floor through the center-point
    Tent (H) – The “peak height” of a completed tipi

…in an odd-sided tipi you end up with the “points” and “sides” always opposite one-another so the (L) and (W) measurements would be equal.
    ———————————

Pattern(W) 54.00 in
    Pattern(L) 94.87 in
    Pattern(H) 90.95 in

Pattern(W) – width of each size of the N-sided pyramid (“ground edge” for each panel)
    Pattern(L) – measurement from the center of “ground edge” to the top of the tipi
    Pattern(H) is the measurement from a corner of “ground edge” to the tip of the tipi

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools