Topic

Wind River Range Backpacking and Fishing 2015 (Elkhart and Big Sandy) Pics and Video

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Wind River Range Backpacking and Fishing 2015 (Elkhart and Big Sandy) Pics and Video

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

I spent the entire month of July backpacking and fishing the Wind River Range (a benefit of being a teacher). I used mainly the Big Sandy and Elkhart Park (near Pinedale) trailheads. The scenery and fishing was great for brook trout and golden trout. However, this year I encountered some of the most variable and consistently rainy weather I've ever encountered in the mountains in the summer. Usually, it just storms or rains in the afternoon. This year I had several hikes of 3-4 days of rain, storms at any time, and even 4 inches of snow and high 20's at 11 AM. In Desolation Valley, I think that one night I found bear tracks circling my tent and around my ursack. It appears to have pulled at the rope attached to a boulder (tore the white rope a bit), scratched the bag, but the food was fine. See minute 9.42-11.03 in the following video and tell me if you think that it was a bear. Here is a video montage of most of the trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5rKl_iOkbY
    Wind River Range Backpacking Video

On the 1st hike, I went from Big Sandy up the Fremont Trail, to the Pyramid trail, and off-trail into Desolation Valley. This is a pretty pond on the Fremont Trail.
    Fremont Trail Pond
    This is Desolation Valley at the Upper East Park Lake:
    Upper East Park lake

Nice Brook Trout in awe inspiring scenery along the East Fork River:
    Brook trout desolation valley

I also did several hikes out of Elkhart Park, Pole Creek Trail, and off-trail. Here are some of the better pictures from these hikes.

A pretty fishless lake (Lake 10,488)
    Lake 10488
    Cool reflections in a pretty lake.
    Reflections entrance

Here is one of the moose I saw by the Cook lakes:
    moose

In campsites outside of Pinedale and toward Elkhart Park it was fun watching and taking pictures of the antelope.
    antelope

William King
    Spectator

@wildwill

Thank you for the report! I'm leaving out Elkhart Aug 27 for five days of chasing golden trout.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Very nice!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools