Topic

Does anyone have a “just add Water” muffin mix recipe?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Does anyone have a “just add Water” muffin mix recipe?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I tried wet baking muffins last week for the first time on a car camping trip. The kids loved it, it was super easy, and hard to screw up. I would like try out my own recipes (add in whole wheat flour and different mix-ins) but need a base recipe to go off of. Google has failed me!!! Does anyone have a recipe?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Try Krusteaz fat free Wild Blueberry supreme muffin mix. I swap out the canned blueberries with freeze dried ones, or any other FD or dehydrated fruit you want. Just add water.

For a non-fruit breakfast muffin, I've combined Bisquick with things like Ova Easy egg powder, FD sausage crumbles, FD cheese, FD tomatoes, etc. I like to add pepper and maybe a little Tabasco.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

A basic muffin recipe is:

200g self-raising flour (or plain flour + baking powder)
    50 – 100g sugar
    50ml vegetable oil
    1 egg (not essential)
    10g dried milk powder (not essential)
    100 – 150ml water (the larger amount if no egg)

None of the quantities are super-critical – experiment to suit your taste!

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

Listen to Stuart. He knows what he is talking about.

I have used the Betty Crocker and Krusteaz "stuff" (and still do on rare occasion). But a DIY style like Stuart suggests is, in my opinion, the better way to go as you control what goes into your body and you can modify a recipe to fit your tastes. I generally omit sugar from the mix and add honey to the finished product.

Michael

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Thanks all. I am definitely looking for a recipe. I've tried the box stuff and it's good, but I want more control.

I am thinking I will need to invest in a powdered fat and possibly powdered eggs to pull this off. Then I guess just start with my favorite muffin recipe as a base. Thanks for the recipe Stuart! Can you comment on the difference with and without egg? …. and what's up with all the SI units? Can't we all just use British units like Her Royal Majesty intended? … wait… which one of has the Queen on their money again?

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

The main function of the egg is to add texture to the muffin. I don't bother with egg when baking "on the trail" but have always meant to try powdered egg (it's hard to find here).

As for imperial units, here's a quote from Lord Kelvin in the 1880s
    "I look upon our English system as a wickedly, brain-destroying system of bondage under which we suffer. The reason why we continue to use it, is the imaginary difficulty of making a change, and nothing else; but I do not think in America that any such difficulty should stand in the way of adopting so splendidly useful a reform."

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Quote from another thread:

I used a StarLyte for simmering stove, 1/2 ounce denatured alcohol.

Used the 10cm Imusa mug sold at bplite. ;-) used an aluminum foil lid.

Cake batter consisted of 2 different cake mixes combined.(1 box angel food cake mix,1 box double chocolate cake mix)

Recipe:

3/4 cup cake batter
    1/2 cup water
    mix together

1/4 cup water in bottom of Imusa

steam bake for 6 min.

I have come to the conclusion that the 2 piece cake pan is a PITA when it comes to clean-up. time.

What did you use to prevent batter from working it's way under the removable center part?

photo 3-2-62pcpan001_zps03860059.jpg

photo 3-2-62pcpan002_zps55f6131c.jpg

photo 3-2-62pcpan003_zpsc2ce6c45.jpg

photo 3-2-62pcpan004_zps6db8f332.jpg

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/mb_post_form.html?po=edit&note_id=744621&forum_thread_id=86519

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Eggs add binding as well. But…it is easy enough to work around that. Either take a base vegan recipe or use ground flaxseed (1 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal and 3 Tbsp cold water) for the egg.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Ben, the mix I listed can be your basic mix. Add everything and anything to it….your going to have fun!!! the mix is easy because of the Angle Food mix, it's what binds and fluffs the muffin. It's a no brainer mix. It comes from a mix engineered for microwave ovens called a 3-2-1 mix. 3 parts mix, 2 parts water and 1 minute in the microwave on high. I adapted it to be used with alcohol burners/stoves.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Thanks Stuart and Sarah for the comments on eggs. I don't think it is something I want to leave out. Hopefully my wife doesn't notice the Amazon packages pile up by the door :)

Dan, one of the key changes I would like to make is to get some whole grains into the muffins. I suppose it could be accomplished by adding some wheat germ or oats to a mix, but I really like cooking with Bob's whole wheat pastry flour. I have found it can swapped into baked goods entirely for AP flour without much change in the consistency. Alternatively I can usually do about 50/50 regular whole wheat flour and AP flour without the kids complaining.

Another thing I like to add to baked goods is beet juice powder. To do that you have to make sure the batter is acidic, so the choice of leaveners is important.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I dont have a specific recipe, but i actually do know the muffin man.
    He said that water only goes against his ethos and that he would not be able to help me with "half-assed shortcuts that produce muffins that are inferior i every way"

…It must have touched a nerve.

Fun fact: the muffin man is originally from sri lanka before moving to witchita to take the position. I didnt think they even used yeast over there. Weird!!

'Know' is a strong word… We've met

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Coarsely chopped up quick cooking oats, subbed in for about 1/8 to 1/4 of the flour works well :)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

"Another thing I like to add to baked goods is beet juice powder. To do that you have to make sure the batter is acidic, so the choice of leaveners is important."

Betty Crocker Angle food mix contains Citric Acid…is that good for adding the beet juice powder. The beet juice powder sounds like an excellent idea…I love beets any way I can get em :-)

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

"Bob's whole wheat pastry flour"
    I didn't know such a product existed, but now I have even found an equivalent here in the UK. Thanks for that!

Oat flour makes a dense cake/bread if you add any more than a small proportion.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Really? Er…oh….wait….I spend too much time at the Bob's Red Mill factory store. Lol. I use their WW pasty flour ALL the time. It is good stuff. Bob is an awesome man btw.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Citric acid would do the trick depending on how much baking soda is in it. Beet juice powder turns your batter into a litmus test (literally). You quickly find out if it is acidic or not. It is great stuff and adds an earthy sweetness to dishes. I bought some off Amazon experiment making an easier beet pancake recipe (which are my kids favorite recipe). The recipe you can find online requires that you roast and puree beets the night before.

On whole wheat pastry flour… yes it is great stuff.. and Bob's Red Mill is cream of the crop. Since I discovered it I have almost stopped buying AP Flour. There is very little that I bake that doesn't come out wonderfully with WW pastry flour.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I actually use beet powder as a coloring agent. Just an FYI, it works great in many applications.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools