Topic

How do Cold Cold Worls packs carry?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How do Cold Cold Worls packs carry?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I am looking at the 40L Valdez and 50L Chernobyl. Both are basically frameless with a removable foam pad for support and padding. How do these do with a 35 pound load for multiple days?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

They're about as good as frameless packs get if you fit them right, but the suspension is still just a stiff folded CCF pad in a zippered sleeve. 35 lbs for multiple days is doable if you have plenty of beef in your shoulders and core.

They are, in short, climbing packs, and carry as such. If climbing isn't a major part of every trip there are many better options.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

i like the ccw packs a lot. they are well designed and well executed. for the price they are tuff to beat. having played around with and carried a couple of diffrent ccw packs, at 35 lbs, i look for a pack with a beefier suspension and have gone the cilogear route. with the frame sheet and aluminum stay i find load carrying much more comfortable when you start heading say north of 30 lbs for any length of time.

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

I love my CCW pack… I expect it to last another ten years of climbing, but carrying 35 pounds with one would be a very painful experience for me. If you can carry half that way on your shoulders, you might be fine, but for me that leads to tension headaches.
    CCW packs emphasize climbing mobility over load carrying on the trail… and unless you are doing technical climbing (above low 5th class and A3) I would err on getting a better frame.

Overshot
    BPL Member

@overshot03

Locale: North East

I have been impressed with CCW. In fact I have 2 of their packs, and Cherynoble, and a Chaos. They both have carried my winter gear for a few days out. This was roughly 25-30 pounds, and never felt like it carried poorly, but quite the opposite. Like any frameless pack, how you pack it up has a direct bearing on how it carries. They are both exceptionally durable, and lightweight for what they are. Randy is great to work with, and can add some changes within reason if you want him to.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

This is sort of what I expected. I do a lot of climbs where I hike a lot of miles, so I need a little more support.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools