Topic

New forum!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Well, this has been mentioned in the (few) threads in here, but–this is great!

It had been on my "to-do" list to get involved in discussions recommending the creation of this forum, but looks like I'm too late to the party–and an unnecessary proponent, to boot.

I am slightly disappointed that the SUL forum wasn't simultaneously removed, with this forum dedicated to fastpacking trips, principles AND gear. Perhaps that's a slight tangent, but I think that "SUL" (and UL, and lightweight…etc.) are arbitrary distinctions that aren't particularly useful or helpful. I know many agree. Participation in the SUL forum was essentially limited to fastpackers, anyway, and the topics extended beyond gear. Now that this forum exists, use of that forum will drop even more–beyond the pretty abysmal levels right now (where, as of right now, the first page of threads goes back to 12/2014).

There's plenty of room for discussion on that topic, but that's my $0.02.

In any case, I welcome this new forum! Thanks BPL!

Fastpacking trip reports–here or the trip report forum? I like here.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

agreed- one place to talk about nutrition, routes, technique, gear, etc, etc- very nice :)

trip reports would be great too

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Hi,
    somewhere in the Scott AT attempt thread there was a small talk about a new forum and I just e-mailed Ryan and then Roger made it happen. I also thought a merge with SUL would have been good. So much overlap anyway and keeps the combined place more active.

Perhaps a more elaborate discussion would have been good (and if I did, I didn't mean to take that away from anybody). But then again now it is here and it will be what we make of it.

FKTs and speed hiking and trail running are more and more common and UL is of interest for the people participating in it. So BPL seems like a good place to have a subforum dedicated to its techniques and specific strategies, or to follow race reports or other FKT attempts.

So I for one am happy there is a dedicated Speed hiking / Fastpacking forum now. Would love to read about principles, also definitely trip reports, planning, training, articles, blog posts from others not on BPL.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Fastpacking trip reports–here or the trip report forum? I like here."

I'm not a fastpacker, and wouldn't pay much attention to most fastpacking discussions, but I do enjoy trip reports, even fastpacking ones.

If folks are going to put fastpacking trip reports here, I humbly request they put "Trip Report" in the subject line so it would easily stand out.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

> (and if I did, I didn't mean to take that away from anybody).

Ito–No, you didn't take anything away–we owe you a big hearty thanks! The establishment of this forum is a good thing. It sounds like I would've mimicked your arguments anyway. Thanks for sending your e-mail–and thanks to Ryan and Roger for making it happen.

I think there's plenty of time to see if the SUL forum still makes sense. There's no rush.

> I'm not a fastpacker, and wouldn't pay much attention to most fastpacking
    > discussions, but I do enjoy trip reports, even fastpacking ones.

> If folks are going to put fastpacking trip reports here, I humbly request
    > they put "Trip Report" in the subject line so it would easily stand out.

Doug,

Yeah, therein lies the crux. Posting them here will limit exposure to those on the rest of the site. Posting them there–and not mentioning it here–probably means some in this small community (who really would care) will miss it.

Thanks for weighing in–I'm sure there are others who feel similarly to you.

Might make more sense to keep them there, and post a heads-up here.

When I posed the question, I did so with a little hope that someone involved in creating the new forum would come out the woodwork, and say "We thought of that, and here's what we thought…"

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

"and thanks to Ryan and Roger for making it happen.

I think there's plenty of time to see if the SUL forum still makes sense. There's no rush."

Absolutely thanks to Ryan and Roger, they were very quick in their response too.
    About SUL and trip reports – every time you create a sub forum you run the risk of pulling topics away from another (Scouting / trip reports? Fishing / gear?).

I like the simple idea of clear topics in the subject, and if necessary a cross post for notification. I'm sure the majority of trip reports will still be there. If only for the reason the fastpacking trips are less common (why I kind of inclined to like them here but fine either way of course).

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I think the quality of posts on the SUL forum are great, even with the lack there of.
    I hope this forum goes the same way.

I think the problem with so many new Fastpacker/ Speed-hikers is that they are taking way too much gear.
    A little SUL in them would help a lot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools