Topic

Double duty tent poles.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Double duty tent poles.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    michael trafton

@traftonm3203

Locale: South East

I’m thinking about tying to make my own tent/shelter. I was wondering if any one knows if there is any reason that the tent pole sections could not be used as the stays in my pack. This way I can get double duty out of items that normally only has one use. I would hat to take the time to make the tent, only to find out it doesn’t work. Seem to me that the sections of the poles certainly would be up to the task. Any insights would be helpful.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Michael,

I did this with the short poles at the rear of my Contrail tent. There are two short carbon fiber poles that worked great for my pack stays. However, I note that you just finished a pair of trekking poles. Those might be even better for tent poles if they work into your tent design.

-Mark

Steve Smith

@bardsandwarriors

Locale: Wales

Some guy called Matt Boyd has done it, and posted instructions on Rainmaker's "'alternative gear" page. He writes:

"I did a little experimenting and have found the perfect replacement for tent poles.

I just connected two backpack stays with bolts. My North Face aluminum stays already had one hole drilled near the tip. I drilled second corresponding holes in each stay and bought a couple of bolts from Home Depot. It makes an extremely sturdy pole which is up to 41 1/2 inches long. The total weight for the hand tightening nuts and bolts is 1/2 oz. Lighter weight bolts could also be used."

http://www.trailquest.net/TQaltgear.html#stay

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools