Topic

HANCHOR Marble

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedAug 6, 2015 at 1:41 am

(I’m one of the founders of HANCHOR brand)
In order not to derail another thread. This thread is created to answer questions about Marble backpack.
Besides, In order to meet the posting rule, I would like to offer a BPL-specific DEAL.
Just PM me and I’ll send you a $10 off coupon for Marble or Chert.
Marble01

Chert01

“Wow, the Hanchor Marble looks great! I’m also intrigued by the Chert Mountaineering pack. Will they be offered in different colors (non glossy for the Chert)? Do the two share the same frame and harness setup? Could you please explain the setup of the lateral stay? Are the hip belts the same just adding pockets to the Marble’s? Thanks for your insight.”
Alex,
Marble and Chert have the same frame system, but Marble has 2 zipper pocket on the removable hipbelt when Chert has 2 gear loops on its. We are now only able to provide white Marble and glossy black Chert.
marble back
The lateral stay is inserted inside a tube sewed from a section of male and female velcro. It can be attached on to the upper part of back panel to provide additional stability and comfort by preventing the pack from shaping like a log.
lateral stay

The lateral stay is actually the same as Cobble’s figure “#” frame which is constructed from 2 lateral/2 vertical stays and a folded backpad. All 4 stays can be bent to fit your body perfectly. But Marble has only one lateral stay on the upper when Cobble has another on the lower to make hipbelt surround your waist even nicer. Besides, Marble doesn’t have a removable backpad but has 2 rails of padding to provide basic support, enough cushion and ventilation for your back.
cobble stays
The picture above shows how 4 stays create a rigid and body fitting frame.

To save the weight and make it a clean design, the two rails of back padding, tunnels for inserting stays are both sewn on the same piece of back panel fabric. Furthermore, the two rail back pad are extended from the shoulder straps.
one piece frame
The picture above shows how lateral stay is fastened onto the back panel under the 2 vertical stays.

Marble stays inserted
The picture above shows how stays are secured by a lid with velcro and tunnels for stays sewed on it.
================================================================
“Not to derail this thread too much, but this Hanchor Marble pack intrigues me. Can it fit a Bearikade weekender? Can anyone speak to quality, durability, etc?”

Christopher,
Marble’s dimentions are listed as:
* Top circumference : 39″ / Bottom circumference : 41″ / Height Fully Unrolled : 36.25″
* Torsos size- Regular (R): 17~19″ / Large(L) : 19~21″
The top circumference of Marble is 39”. So I guess if you are going to put Bearikade weekender lateraly, it might be tight.

I might not be the right person to answer the question about quality and durability. But in my opinion, vx07 and wx20 are fabrics provides best balance between lightweight and durability. Both of them are below 5oz/sqyd, the seam strength is much stronger than 1.5oz/sqyd cuben or 3.0oz/sqyd cuben hybrid. 1.5oz/sqyd is much lighter but I have to make a lot of effort on reinforcement (like our ASH backpack) to make sure it’s durability. Proper reinforcement is needed for UL fabrics but it also adds weight.
ASH reinforcement
Cuben hybrid is much better but the needle holes on the fabric still tend to become larger and larger after use, if it’s not properly reinforced. It’s still lighter but if you are going to carry heavier load occasionally, the weight saving might not be very worthy. So I personally like to carry backpack made from 1.5oz/sqyd for SUL BPW, and xpac vx07, wx20, vx21 for UL BPL. For heavier weight cordura 420d is superior. I adopt 420d cordura as COBBLE’s main fabric since it’s designed for traditional hikers who just start to go lighter. They can adjust the frame system during their “getting lighter process” since all 4 aluminum stays and folded back pad are removable.

—
Jangtian Shieh(Syoten)
HANCHOR outdoor gear design Co. Ltd.

Alex Wallace BPL Member
PostedAug 6, 2015 at 9:41 am

Very helpful, Jang-Tian. Thank you.

I have a couple more questions for you if you don't mind concerning the Chert pack: (1) How long are the vertical stays (regular & long torso)? (2) What's the measurement from the bottom edge of the hipbelt to the point where the shoulder straps are attached (regular & long torso)? (3) What's the length and width of the padded section of the shoulder straps (regular & long torso)? (4) What's the length and width of the padded section of the hipbelt (size medium)?

I apologize for all of the questions, but without being able to try on a pack I've found that these measurements help immensely to determine how it will fit. Thanks again.

PostedAug 6, 2015 at 6:44 pm

@Alex,
No problem at all! Those measurements you ask for are just what I always want to know about backpacks. Maybe I should update these details on to the page though most consumers won't estimate how the packs will fit from these information.
(1) How long are the vertical stays (regular & long torso)?
The stays of both regular and long torso have the same length at about 55cm, but they doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the back panel(above 3cm above the bottom of the pack).

(2) What's the measurement from the bottom edge of the hipbelt to the point where the shoulder straps are attached (regular & long torso)?
regular:18"
long:20"
I suggest people to wear the hipbelt on the position of bottom edge about 1" below the top of iliac crest.(the lowest position it can stay when you squat down.)

(3) What's the length and width of the padded section of the shoulder straps (regular & long torso)?
Length
regular:19"
long:19"

width
regular:2-1/2"
long:2-1/2"

(4) What's the length and width of the padded section of the hipbelt (size medium)?
length
s: 26-1/2"
m: 32-1/2"
l: 38-1/2"

width
regular: 4"
long: 4"

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedAug 7, 2015 at 1:36 am

Jang-Tian

We have a very strict rule here about FULL DISCLOSURE when talking about any gear with which you may be commercially involved. You are involved with Hanchor, so you MUST state this in EVERY posting about any Hanchor product. No options.

And your postings should go in Gear Deals, and include a DEAL of some sort for BPL members. We do not offer a free advertising system here.

Roger Caffin
Online Community Monitor
Backpacking Light

rmeurant BPL Member
PostedAug 7, 2015 at 2:25 am

Jang-Tian,

Interesting range of gear – I had no idea you guys existed! And evidently a thoughtful approach to design. I'm visiting Taipei for the Information conference at National Taiwan University in late November – do you have a physical shop where I can take a look at your gear?

Robert.

PostedAug 7, 2015 at 3:01 am

@Roger,
I'm sorry that I didn't really aware of these rules though I've been here for many years.
Thanks for your remind!

Besides, to meet the rule.
I would offer a BPL-specific DEAL.
Just PM me and I'll send you a $10 off coupon for Marble or Chert.

(I'm one of the founders of HANCHOR brand)

—
Jangtian Shieh(Syoten)
HANCHOR outdoor gear design Co. Ltd.

PostedAug 7, 2015 at 3:09 am

@Robert,
Thanks for your interest. Actually we don't have many in stock so I just put specific products in my friend's outdoor gear shop, and most products are just sold online.

—
Jangtian Shieh(Syoten)
HANCHOR outdoor gear design Co. Ltd.

Alex Wallace BPL Member
PostedAug 7, 2015 at 9:33 am

Thanks again, Jang-Tian. That's exactly what I needed.

So it looks like I'm a long torso with a medium hipbelt. Please consider offering the Chert in a different color. I'm excited about XPAC WX20, but not in glossy black. Actually, I'd be fine with black if it wasn't glossy.

Orders take about 6 weeks plus shipping time, correct?

For what it's worth, I knew you were associated with Hanchor, but I guess rules are rules. I do appreciate the offer for the discount though.

PostedAug 7, 2015 at 6:15 pm

@Alex,
Actually we are now finishing a small stock of Marble and Chert since we are going to produce larger quantity of our new lightweight all-round travel pack-BRECCIA announced on kickstarter and we’ll not be able to make other models for several months.

As for the fabrics of Chert, wx20 with the PET film on the outside is chosen to make it easy to clean and absorbs minimal water. Besides, black color is the only wx20 we imported partially because we prefer it whole black rather than the way black diamond pattern is on other colors of wx20. (I think glossy black looks fashionable.) Besides, we now have a bit too many products for our studio, so it’s quite difficult to provide more colors at least for now. I’m really sorry about that.
Thanks,

FULL DISCLOSURE:
I’m one of the founders of HANCHOR brand.
—
Jangtian Shieh(Syoten)
HANCHOR outdoor gear design Co. Ltd.
http://www.HANCHOR.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...