Topic

Great Smoky Mountains – LeConte – Bugs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Great Smoky Mountains – LeConte – Bugs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

I'm planning a Spring trip to GSMNP to hike LeConte. I had a question about bugs and weather. What is the earliest I could do the hike without having to worry about ice/snow and bugs. I have read some info about chiggers/ticks and I would like to avoid any of these pests before Spring officially starts. Anyone with experience in hiking there could give me some good start times, I would appreciate it.

I did some research on historical weather and it would seem that in April the high is 65 and low is 33 which I would assume would mean it's bug free?

Joseph Jacaruso
    BPL Member

@captainjac

Locale: Southeast

Its just a roll of the dice. Last year there were two major snow storms in that area (well as major as they got last year)during April. I was in the Smokies in early May and the bugs were bad the first two days. Then there was a cool spell and the bugs were gone again.

NC has weather that changes quickly and the bugs respond to it. I live just east of Greensboro. While the high here yesterday was in the 40's I was removing ticks from my dog earlier this week when highs were in the 70's for a couple of days. Our first frost was over a month ago.

The only safe (or bug proof) way to hike here is the dead of winter or carry deet.

BTW the same goes for snakes.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools