Starting Aug 10 the fusion series are drastically marked down. $100 for the 50 and $110 for the 65. Making room for the next Fusion generation.
Topic
SMD Fusion Pack Closeout
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Good deal, I would be tempted to get one.
I have one that I have loaded up with 50lbs. It handled the weight well on a 3 mile hike. Great packs!
Will a Bear Vault 450 fit in the Fusion 50?
There is also no way to order it online, as it says unavailable. I guess we have to call.
I am definitely in the market for a new pack, but my wife who is the boss of me, says no on this pack…she prefers me to get a full price Circuit or Mariposa since they are more tried and true.
She says she is tired of me saying my new pack is the best, then telling her I need a new one six months later. She is afraid I will do this if I get the Fusion.
You will do it again regardless of the pack as long as you are a gear junkie like the rest of us!!
Your wife seems every bit the sensible woman and caring wife. She tells you "no". But instead of just telling you "no", she takes the time to study the gear — and will rather pay more to ensure a better fit for you. You are a lucky man. :)
Having said the above… fit is a personal, subjective thing. But brand wise, SMD too is well respected within the community — like GG and ULA.
This is why new items should always be shipped to the office and not to home.
@ Ben
Yeah, I think I might like the Fusion, and from the limited info I can gather, it has a really good suspension system, but I probably can't go wrong with any of the three.
Nice thought.
The problem is my wife backpacks with me!
I could offer to buy her one too…two for the price of one basically.
"The problem is my wife backpacks with me!
I could offer to buy her one too…two for the price of one basically."
You'd probably have to get her the new one though; on the first edition the shoulder yoke is too wide-set for any but the burliest of women.
Was going to post a separate thread but I'll try here first. So, about this pack sale.
Every two years, I take my kids and do a long (2-4 months) backpacking trip. This year we're doing central and South America. It's not like doing a through-hike on the AT, but more like going from hostel to hostel and walking maybe 3-4 miles tops from the bus to accommodations.
I've been carrying an old Dana Designs ArcFlex Terra something or another on these trips (bought it new in 1998). It's heavy but it carries super sweet. It's still in amazingly great condition. But again, it's really heavy compared to something like this pack. So what would ya'll think about switching to this pack for this next trip instead of the Dana Designs? At that price, it's tempting to try.
Thoughts/advice?
"It's not like doing a through-hike on the AT, but more like going from hostel to hostel and walking maybe 3-4 miles tops from the bus to accommodations."
That's my kind of travel trips — ranging from 2 to 7 months' duration. My total pack weight is about 11 lbs — including 1.5 for the pack itself. Any well-made bookbag will do, really. Think Jansport. But the Fusion will do as well.
Ha, I'm traveling with 12 and 14 year old girls. Our weights won't be 11 pounds. I wish – but no. Traveling with kids can double the weight. I bet you don't take your stuffed animal, markers, or favorite Barbie in your 11 pound pack? :)
"I bet you don't take your stuffed animal, markers, or favorite Barbie in your 11 pound pack?"
I'm not answering that. We don't know each other that well yet. :)
I can't say for certain for the Fusion 50, but I have the BV450 and the Fusion 65 and it fits in with tons of room to spare. I could easily fit a bigger canister if I wanted.
If you check out the reviews on the Fusion 50 page, cenazwalker did an an depth on the 50 and he says its bear canister compatible.
Good luck! I wish I was shopping now.
I just received mine, initial reaction is they ship very fast, and the pack looks fine contrary to some folks opinion of the color!
It is a minimal pack without many pockets but for the price it is a bargain. I like the frame structure because I generally end up at 35 lbs with water and food.
I agree. Mine came really fast and I was surprised about the color. After reading all the reviews, I was prepared for something really gross but it's not really bad at all. It's more orange than yellow. I'm still trying to figure out if the straps will work for me. I may order the newer S shaped straps when they come out and switch them out. But over all, a really well made pack and great service and responses to questions from SMD. Can't beat the price.
Just wondering which size you guys ended up buying…and do you think a rolled up tarptent stratospire 2 would work in one of the side pockets or the mesh pocket on the front?
Got the 65. And yes, the tent will fit in the outside front pocket.
I've used the Fusion 50 since it was initially released and have carried a 1.5L Smartwater bottle in addition to the poles for a Big Sky Mirage in one side pocket…..so the Stratospire should fit.
Thanks TO and Christopher.
Hard decision: buy one now, or wait and pay double for the new, improved version!!
I went ahead and ordered the 65 liter! Hopefully it will ship in time for my next trip out to the woods!
Ordered my Fusion 65 on the 19th of August. They shipped it on the 21st and notified me it was on the way. Received it on the 21st! Speedy and awesome service. Now I have to wait two weeks for my next scheduled trek to try it out…;-( Color actually looks much nicer than I thought it would. It's more like a "tangerine" color. Initial reaction is that this is definitely a great pack for the price.
It's really nice that they ship it expedited like that, especially seeing as they are selling it half price. That color is much more endearing than the website pic of the pack…much more mellow. Mine shipped today, and I will have to wait until the 18th of September to take it out :(
Become a member to post in the forums.

