Topic

External Battery pack for Sunnto Ambit 3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) External Battery pack for Sunnto Ambit 3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Hello,

I am going on a 7 day backpacking trip and would like to use my Ambit 3 peak to track the trip. I figure that I will nee to recharge it 2-3 times during the trip. Does anyone know what capacity external battery I would need to accomplish this? Anyone have recommendations on battery backs they like?

Thank you,

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

It must recharge with USB?

How many mAH is the battery?

Multiply by 3 since you want to recharge 3 times, and multiple by 2 for inefficiency and get a battery pack with greater than that capacity

If your battery is 500 mAH, for example, you want a battery pack that has at least a 3000 mAH battery.

I got an Anker from amazon.com that's worked okay. Several other people same.

Lane E.
    Spectator

@leckley

Locale: Damn Compass Broke...

I have one of these and it works perfectly, also can serve as your backup life source.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerful-Portable-RAVPower-Technology-Lightning/dp/B00MQSMEEE

I haven't used the GPS on my Ambit 3 yet, is that the reason for the limited battery life you are estimating?

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Thank you for the comments.

I haven't been able to find the specs for the battery size in the Ambit 3. I found that the Ambit 2 has a 480 mah so I imagine the 3 would be in the same neighborhood. I am doing an off trail Wind River trip and would like to keep GPS on at the lowest battery consumption level to track the route we take. I also like having all the other information you get by hiking with GPS activated.

I am not sure how much battery drain I will encounter but I want to be sure I get the whole trip. It seems like something around 3000 mah would be sufficient.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

when is your trip?

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

August 15-23

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington
    James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Jerry,

I thought you knew the battery size. Definitely a good guess. Thanks for the link.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Once you get one if you don't mind I would love to know how it works out for you James.
    I'm not in immediate need but I have an Ambit 3 and like you for use on multiple day treks am searching for a good battery solution.

cheers

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Ito,

Sure thing. I will let you know my thoughts when I get back from the trip.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools