Topic

Tall, skinny and unable to find a jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tall, skinny and unable to find a jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    P S

@petesull

I'm out of luck (and a jacket) and need some help. In fact, I need at least 2 jackets

I'm just a hair over 6'4", 205 pounds, very athletic with long arms. Rough estimates put me at 44" chest, at least 36 – 36.5" sleeves, and 17 – 17.5 neck. I wear 34/36 waist pants with 36 length, however my waist measures to about 38-39 (that's American sizing for you). I cannot find a jacket that fits nicely. When it comes to clothes, I have to pick my poison.

Larges are perfect across the chest, but too short or just barely long enough in the arm, and too short or just barely long enough in the length of the jacket.

XL are perfect in the sleeve, usually right in the length of the jacket, but way too baggy–it looks to boxy and like I'm wearing a parachute or something.

The only jacket I've found to fit me perfectly is the Arcteryx Gamma SV (the MX does not fit). In XL, it has very long arms and very tight chest/waist cut. However, I didn't like Powershield: it wasn't warm enough to wear around town, but didn't breathe well enough for running/sports/hiking.

Are there any companies that cater to the tall and fit? It'd seem like common sense to athletic/backpacking/hiking/mountain climbing clothe manufacturers that people who are active, athletic and outdoors are going to be fit. What can I do?

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

Beyond fleece will make you a custom jacket based on your actual measurements, that should fit you perfectly. I have had mine for several years, and really love it (the cold fusion).

http://beyondclothing.com/

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Same here about beyondfleece.com. For down check out Cabelas or LL Bean for their talls.

Eric St. Mary

@ewsews

I'm the same size, though my actual waist is 34". I wear large tops and 34*36 jeans.

The tops that fit me about perfectly are:
    Ibex Wear
    La Sportiva

The brands that fit okay in tops are:
    The North Face
    Marmot
    Montbell

The brands that fit just horribly all around are:
    Patagonia is the worst
    Mountain Hardwear usually falls into this category

P S

@petesull

Thanks for the advice. I do know of Beyondfleece (I think "Beyondclothing" now). Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of WB-400, and their insulated primaloft jacket must have a PU coating, which I'm not looking for. Maybe I'll try one of the Schoeller Dryskin jackets.

I'm actually thinking of ordering some European jackets, they seem to have the best of both worlds: less membranes/coatings in their softshells, and XL size that is cut a little closer. Specifically, the Montane PUMA looks great. I'll let you guys know.

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

I have really smilar measurements to those mentioned above, except I have even longer arms (38" I think)

I find that patagonia fits me fairly well, and strangely enough, EMS generally fits me really well. The brand to avoid if your shoulders are wider than your gut is cloudveil. Their stuff is really nice, well made, and seems to be designed to fit people who are shaped like pears or bowling pins.

I really share your frustration with the cut of a lot of outdoor clothes, who are these people who can fit into them, and do they really need high end outdoor gear?

Rainy Pass repair in Seattle can also do custom mods on outdoor clothing, including seam taping and the like.

P S

@petesull

What size do you wear? With 38" arms I assume you must wear XL

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

Usually I can get away with a L, north face in particular has longish sleeves. Some stuff I have to go with an XL and just accept the bagginess around the waist.

for me, the real issue is pants, 34/34 is a hard size to find, plus I have thicker thighs from years of cycling, so they might fit in the waist and length, but be tight around the leg.

Chris Ryan
    BPL Member

@ucdchris

I've got a long torso for my size and also have a hard time finding jackets that are long enough while still fitting properly through the chest. I've found that Cabela's makes a number of products in tall sizes that fit well (they add 1.5"-2" on arms and overall length). REI also carries a couple items in tall sizes that fit nicely.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Mountain Hardwear is the smallest you will find out there of the name brands, Marmot is usually the longest. TNF rarely has anything. Patagonia is about 1 out of 4.

And there are always kits at thru-hiker.com

Brett (6'5" and mostly all torso)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools