Topic

Backpacking binoculars

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backpacking binoculars

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I know nothing about binoculars, don't think I've ever owned a pair. I did take a look at the Eagle Optics binocs 101 videos (very well done and informative!).

I'm thinking of picking up a pair for backpacking. Main use would be to see distance objects – nothing too close – like the next ridge over or down into a valley. Not looking for anything in particular (not a bird watcher or a hunter or anything like that), just looking while whiling away the time at camp or on break.

Would the Leica Ultravid 10×25 BCR Binocular be a good choice for backpacking? Or should I go for Leica Ultravid 8×20 BCL Compact Binocular, a tad lighter and $50 cheaper.

I wear glasses if that matters.

Appreciate any and all opinions.

Edit to add: I've also looked through this 2014 thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=86002

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

A few things to keep in mind Doug.

First as a glasses wearer you'll want enough eye relief to get a full field of view without cramming the binos into your glasses. For me, that means at least 18mm. Due to lens physics, you can't have a wide field of view and lots of eye relief and plenty of magnification; one has to be sacrificed.

Second, 10 power compacts can be harder to hold steady, especially while standing. This is individual, and ideally you'll find a shop which will let you take a few models outside to test.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Thanks Dave, appreciate the info.

Chuck Susie
    BPL Member

@chucks

Locale: Montana

A better choice might be the new Swarovski 8×25

exit pupil 3.1mm
    eye relief 17mm

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

Price Range?

Also, if you are only spot scouting ridge lines and stuff, a simple monocular will suffice and save more than double the weight.

Cabela's has a simple 6×18 mono, 3.2 ounces, on sale for $20.

http://tinyurl.com/p66vzqh

Or you can spend $400 on a 10×25 Zeiss Monocular at 3.1 ounces.

http://tinyurl.com/ojrmopk

For something you will rarely use and can obviously do without, I think the $20 monocular would be perfectly fine. But hey, it's your money.

Like most backcountry equipment, you can spend as much as you want to, but as per usual, the cheaper things almost always function just fine.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Thanks Chuck, I'll check them out.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Price Range?"

None, really. I tend toward quality stuff, often buying higher quality than I really need. I think I'm looking for really nice quality in a compact package – 10 oz or less?

"Also, if you are only spot scouting ridge lines and stuff, a simple monocular will suffice and save more than double the weight."

I'll try a monocular, but not sure it'll work for me. I tried one a friend had some time ago and didn't like the one-eyeball thing, but it's certainly worth trying again. I'm not really scouting anything, just plan on leisurely gazing, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the info.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Hi Doug,

I have an earlier version of the Leica 8×20, and I really like them – good quality is definitely worth it with binoculars. So the Ultravid should be even better, as the optics are improved over what I have.

Needless to say, with my Mr. Magoo vision, I use them with glasses, and they are just fine.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

The 10-ounce Leicas are too heavy for compact bins that you will not be using often. I have the Zeiss Conquest 8 x 20 and they come in at 6.5 ounces according to Zeiss (my version is a few years old and weighs closer to 6 ounces). Also, the Zeiss are half the price of the Leicas. There are other compact bins out there that are as light as the Zeiss.

Whatever you get, go for 8 power. The field of view is already small on compact bins, which means the light coming through the lenses is limited. 10 power bins are going to let even less light in, which means they will be less useful for dawn/dusk viewing. 8 power is enough to see anything you're interested in.

The Zeiss are "splash resistant" or something like that. I've taken mine on two thru-hikes and countless shorter hikes and never had any condensation or issues with moisture.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Debbie, Scott, thanks much for the info.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Picked up these Russian "spy" binoculars at a surplus store for $20. Not sure of the magnification, but they work great.
    spy
    c

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I'd enjoy looking through a pair of binocs with crappy optics about as much as I'd enjoy listening to a radio with crappy reception…which is to say I myself wouldn't bother.

But yeah, if there are lighter options with good optics that would be the way to go. I don't usually bring my binoculars except on day hikes, to look at wildlife. They did come in handy on a long offtrail section years ago on a 7-day trip, however (that was before we moved towards lightweight).

{slight pause, runs to kitchen to get scale to weigh the Leicas…7.95 oz, so not too bad}

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

Been using some Doctor 8×21 monoculars for a few years now and i really rate them

photo IMG_1800.jpg

photo 8x21b.jpg

I have binoculars but the problem i've found is not the weight but the size.
    Even my compact binoculars are too big to fit in a rucksack side pocket, so they inevitably stay in my rucksack, problem then is i can never be bothered to get them out, or if i see some interesting bird or animal it'll be gone before i have them up to my eyes.

The Monoculars fit in pretty much any pocket so are easy at hand.

Only downside is that if you spend more than a few mins looking through them your none used eye gets tired having to be closed.

Other than that they give a clear sharp image, mine have been banged dropped and stepped on but are as tough a brick out house

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Since you are so old and shakey I would recommend a 8 or maybe 10 X 32. ;)

the bigger objective lens will open it up a little and tone down the shakiness compared to a 25mm or something. Plus you'll get a little more light to watch the aminals in the dusk/ dawn

I like the 10x but maybe 8x would work. depends on distances IMO

Leica is good fo sho. The Zeiss terra is good for the money… not sure if they do 3(X)mm

I like Vortex Viper/ Razor lines but the Viper wont be as good as the leica and they dont make a compact Razor.

Overall I personally feel that a lot of usability is gained from getting bigger than 25mm objective. I have 10x 42 but I get that they are too heavy 'round here. they are a pleasure to look through. 32mm is a good compromise.

Brand- wise I think *for the money* Vortex is the best. And their warranty is unbeatable. (not hyperbole)

Their glass can be beat but its really good in the HD lines (viper/ razor)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

We have been using Nikon Travelite series binoculars since the 1980's. I think they are up to series VI now and they are in the 9oz range. My old 7×20 Travelite II glasses are 7.8oz

You can spend a LOT of money on binoculars and past a certain point they seem to be more tourist jewelry than optics, but it is worth it to spend a bit more– the really cheap ones are disappointing.

Binoculars do have advantages over monoculars/telescopes in terms of depth perception, just as it does with normal vision. Try navigating a boat at night with overlapping range lights and traffic lights on the shore behind! Of course, they weigh 2x more given the same optics and construction details and you walk into the same weight/performance issues as any other UL gear choice.

David Sugeno
    BPL Member

@davesugeno

Locale: Central Texas

You won't go wrong with Leica, Zeiss, or Swarovski. Definitely go with 8s. Since you are talking about spending a fair amount of money for quality glass, I would do three things. First, plan on purchasing from Eagle Optics, they carry the best, and have incredible customer service. Next, call their customer service line, and talk to one of their reps about your specific needs. They have incredibly knowledgeable people to answer your questions. Finally, since binocular preference is highly subjective, consider buying a few pairs and returning the ones you don't want for a full refund within a month. I did this recently, and am very glad I did, I wound up with a pair of binoculars (Swarovskis) that I will be using for decades.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

David,
    Your Russian binoculars are "opera glasses"
    2.5x magnification,24mm front elements.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I've owned and/or used most of the better 8×20 glass from Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski and Nikon.

The Nikon LXL is absolutely the "best buy" in the quality 8×20 category. Truly excellent glass, and one I'd chose over the Leica 8×20 Trinovid.

My favorite, and the only 8×20 glass I use is the Leica 8×20 BCR Ultravid. IMO the high water mark of the 8x compacts.

Do yourself a favor and avoid 10×20/25 glass for all the reasons previously stated.

Michael Wainfeld
    Spectator

@adox

Locale: EastCoast

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Compacts-about-pockets-and-wallets.php

Here's an article I found helpful. I like to carry a pair of binoculars on my hikes. I've used them for route finding, but mostly just looking around at camp, and along the trail. I have the Zeiss Victory 8X20's, which I really like. But…..That's another 1/2 pound of crap to hump around!

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Yes, certainly an additional 1/2 lb of crap!

The Leica 8×20 Ultravid replaced my 8×20 Victory. The Zeiss is an excellent glass and I prefer its single hinge design to the double hinge.

At the end of the day, it always surprises me how few BP's use a binocular. The point of backpacking, at least to me, is immersing one's self in the natural world, and a good binocular is a genuine aid to that end…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Much thanks to everyone. I've settled on the Leica Ultravid 8×20 BCLs. Hope to order them Monday.

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

"Binoculars do have advantages over monoculars/telescopes in terms of depth perception, just as it does with normal vision. Try navigating a boat at night with overlapping range lights and traffic lights on the shore behind! Of course, they weigh 2x more given the same optics and construction details and you walk into the same weight/performance issues as any other UL gear choice."

Dale,

If we were on a lightweight boating forum i could understand your reticence, for hiking though i can't say as i've ever had a problem or even noticed a problem with depth perception.

The light weight of the monoculars compared to Bino's is a advantage, but being able to store them in a pocket or side pocket of a rucksack is the main advantage for me.

I have backpacked with my supposedly pocket bino's (Nikon HGL 10×25's) but can't find anywhere comfortable to store them that's quickly accessible.
    As this means i'll have to stop and remove my rucksack to access them i tend just not to bother.

So on a backpack light forum i think weight and size is more of a concern than using them to navigate between traffic lights.

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

Great choice Doug. I've had the Leica 10x for many years, they are brilliant, but I definitely notice them wobbling more as I get older! The rubber coated ones are great. The clarity in these is amazing, I often think it looks clearer looking through them than viewing with your own eyes. Enjoy!

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Another option to consider is a digital camera with (say) 30x zoom capability. The Sony HX50 I have only weighs around 9.5oz and takes some great images at long distance.

E.g.

.Brittany sunset

You can use it as a spy-glass without actually taking an image too. For steadyness, you can get mounts which screw onto a trekking pole top. But modern tech means you can use the image stabilisation built into the camera to use it handheld anyway.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My boating example was the most extreme that came to mind. Binocular vision is the norm and allows quicker perception of unknown objects and moving objects like wildlife. The wide field of view allows faster acquisition of the subject too. Good depth perception is an aid to navigation anywhere, helping to separate and identify overlapping details in the terrain— depth equals distance.

There is no doubt that telescopes are lighter for a given design type, power and diameter. But then this is a post on binoculars :) As to weight, they are all toys and don't belong on a UL gear list, so its really hike your own hike on this subject.

I carry mine in a side pocket. A mini biner to the strap can help keep them from going down a cliff.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools