Topic

Running shorts and wind pants vs convertible pants – Philmont

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Running shorts and wind pants vs convertible pants – Philmont

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Michael Geoghegan
    BPL Member

@gogetter

Locale: SoCal

In the Sierra’s my daily wear is usually running shorts with wind pants should it get cool. I had planned on doing the same at Philmont but am wondering if going with the convertible pants is just a better solution given the conservation projects, horseback riding etc.

Am I just asking for torn up Montbell wind pants if I stick with them?

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

Michael

Jay L
    BPL Member

@jjlash

Ive only been on one trek so there are large parts of the ranch I have not seen, but I did cover the whole range south (Rayado turn around) to north (Ponil). Also not familiar with those pants so dont know how fragile they are.

That said – trail-wise, I cannot imagine anything except a Valle Vidal cross country that would cause problems. Conservation project is probably the luck of the draw. We did trail work where we were in the brush a bit. Spar pole climbing could sure do some damage if that is on your itinerary.

Michael Geoghegan
    BPL Member

@gogetter

Thank you for the comments. Much appreciated!

Michael

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

Like Jay said, shorts are fine for all the hiking.

The events are where the convertible pants are needed. It depends on what you are planning on doing. I used my DriDucks rain pants one year for my long pants and used them for the conservation project. They were not good for that and got torn up.

I took convertible pants the other 2 times and think they are a better choice overall. If weight is a concern, there is a wide range of weights for convertible pants so be aware of that. You can find decent, lightweight convertible pants that can serve as your shorts so the only extra weight is the zip off portion.

I found that the zip offs were nice a few chilly evenings but wind pants would be fine for that too.

Michael Geoghegan
    BPL Member

@gogetter

Thanks John.

I usually leave the convertible pants at home, but have a sneaking suspicion that they are the better choice given some of the activities. Both options are down in the garage sitting next to my bag. Need to put one in the bag in the next day or so – we leave Sunday.

Thanks – Michael

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I think they require "pants" if you go on the horseback rides. If it isn't on your itenerary, than hike as comfortable as you can. You can always bring both to base camp and make a decision to leave one behind at that time. There might be more current advice from the Rangers that were not aware of.

Since I always hike in pants anyway, convertibles are my style. More durable and better spf than my exposed skin.

(I did bring my Montbell wind pants to act as rain pants. Never needed them once on our trek last year. )

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas

On two different treks I've taken one pair of switchbacks, and one pair of running shorts. Has been a good 1-2 punch for me.

Michael Geoghegan
    BPL Member

@gogetter

Thanks for all the comments. I'll bring the options just in case I change my mind in Base Camp, but I think I'll take the convertibles and throw in the running shorts (4.3oz) as sleep/extra. Not a huge weight penalty but I figure it will give me a good base to decide for future Philmont trips. 2 more sons yet to go.

My goal was to avoid the weight of the convertible pants vs. my shorts/wind pants at ~ 7.4oz. No need to be be weight obssesed – it is Philmont after all. I noticed a consitent thread of comments about the conservation projects : "wore my rain pants" and "tore them up." I figured the same would go for my wind pants so I'll err on the side of being conservative.

Thanks again for the comments.

Penny Vann
    BPL Member

@reverse

Question here. I was looking at different convertible pants for both men and women. Why are the women ones heavier and have smaller pockets and less room in the thigh for rock scrambling. I am still looking for a men’s pair that would would fit me. OR 32’s are too large.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Liz and Royal Robbins started their company with a line of climbing clothes for women that were functional. You might check out their web site.

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

From what I remember (long pants needed) –

horse ride
    conservation project
    spar pole climbing

There may be something else, but I just don’t remember now.

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

To the OP’s original question:

During summer months I hike almost exclusively in shorts.  I have been to Philmont twice, and both times i have used the trail running shorts with lightweight wind pants combo when long pants were needed..  Worked out fine for the Cons projects and horseback riding.

Note:  I use a rain kilt so I I didn’t  have rain pants as an option.

YMMV

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools