Topic

Best backup light source

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best backup light source

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Just curious what everyone else uses as a backup light source.
    I use a Princeton pulsar….but my last one turned itself on in my pack and killed the batteries…. Luckily I didn't end up needing it….

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

My iphone has a flashlight option that uses the camera flash.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

With the long daylight hours this time of year, my only light is the Photon Freedom Micro with the hat brim clip. Weighs 12.8g (0.45oz) complete with batteries and hat clip.

It also has a little plastic accessory clip with a string loop attached that converts it to a necklace style. The little plastic clip can be attached to cover the power/mode button if you're worried about it turning on in your pack.

Edit to add… OR you can simply reverse the light position in the hat clip accessory so that the power button is covered…

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I use a Princeton Tec Vizz as my main light, but carry a Photon Freedom as a backup. I've had to use it once or twice and it worked great.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I'm partial to the Nitecore Tube, which is extremely bright and recharges via mini USB which means I can easily top it off before a trip or recharge it during a longer trip if I bring a battery for my phone (yes I know this is BPL but some of us bring phones and battery backups).

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

I'm not much of a night hiker so I've found this kit to be more than adequate, even when taking off before sunrise or pushing a little after dark. Batteries are a PIA to change if you can't see (and even when you do) so I carry two, which gives me a choice between a white light or a green light to preserve night vision. I carry the batteries around just in case. The lights dim as the battery wears out so I've got plenty of warning to change them out.

That said, I really like that Nitecore. USB recharging would bring my light in line with my emergency power backup that can feed both the phone and GPS (eTrex 10) if needed.

Photon Freedom (green) + Photon X-Light
    lights and backup

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

I hang one of these off the outside of my pack and from the ceiling of my tent. Only 10g, $4.75 CDN and supposed to last a 100 hours.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I also use the flashlight option on my Iphone. My battery pack also has a 1W led for when I take it along.

Ryan

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

The Tube looks awesome, bummer that it has a 1 hour burn time on high.

I actually own a photon micro…cool idea about putting on the cover to cover the switch!!! Can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks!!!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I carry an Olight i2 AA flashlight. It is certainly not the lightest option, but will deliver enough light for night travel. I chose it to pair with my Fenix HL21as both use a single AA battery. I can carry both lights and one spare battery for plenty of CYA adaptability.

I do EDC a Fenix LD01 AAA flashlight that I would take with no hesitation. IMHO, the coin cell lights are toys. Lighting is one of those things that your life can depend on and no place to fiddle around with junk.

Ed T
    BPL Member

@peyotezen

I agree with Dale.

I carry a Fenix PD22 (CR123).
    The clip can be switched around to fit on the brim of my hat, so it's all I carry.
    Looking to upgrade to an Elzetta soon after 4 years of loyal duty from the Fenix.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Built in led in Steripen Freedom.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Like above – I make sure I have the same batteries.
    I carry a ZebraLight H52Fw headlamp, 64gr. including the single AA battery. I have a old 4Seven mini torch on my keychain also using an AA.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

A light with a mechanical lockout wont have issues with the light turnin on in yr pack

;)

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

My phone also has a flashlight app, but … a couple nights ago I was in my tent and found my headlamp batteries very low. Just the screen on my phone was plenty of light to change the batteries by, I didn't bother with the app that likely sucks more power than my screen.

A little awkward, you feel like you really would like three hands to do it (one to hold the phone), but it was very do-able.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

As with every other piece of gear for UL, SUL, etc… it depends…

If you're hiking in Alaska in June, July and August, you might not need a light at all. For my little local overnight quickie trips with the dog, the Photon is plenty. If going to the Daks for a 2-3 night trip, I'd probably take something a little more substantial.

Of course, I wouldn't use the Photon in the dead of winter in the Whites, but I have other lights for that — a couple of bigger Petzls, Zebralight H51 — and I sometimes use the e+lite in milder weather. But then I have hiked at night only a few times that I can recall… one of them being an overnight traverse of the Presidentials in NH (in early September). Used one of the Petzls that had both a regular incandescent bulb and a halogen bulb, which could be used independently or simultaneously as needed.

I'm just glad we now have lightweight LED lights instead of the old Petzls with incandescent bulbs, twist bezel for on/off, and those heavy 4.5v flat battery packs. I still have and sometimes use one of the original Tikkas which I often carried as my sole headlamp in the Daks and Whites in the winter. That light was a real game-changer.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have an old (i.e. out of production) Princeton Tec Scout headlamp that uses coin batteries. I also have a Photon but seldom carry it.

For winter I use a PT Fenix (Tactical version).

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

I use a Panther Vision clip-on 2-bulb LED. Each bulb can be turned on separately. The switches are recessed and slide with a firm push. Never had it turn on accidentally. Clips to glasses, hat brim, shirt pocket, etc. so your hands and mouth are free. 10.3 grams.
    led

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

That panther light looks cool. Does it really last 50 hours?
    32 lumens? Is it regulated? Or does it dim much after a few hours?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

I've been using the Panther for at least 3 years on the same set of batteries, so I'd have to say yes, it really lasts for 50 hours. Don't know how many lumens, but it's pretty good out to 6-8'. Haven't noticed any dimming yet.

Mark V.
    BPL Member

@room210

I have found the Black Diamond Ion a relatively nice back up light source; 80 lumens and moderately light. I personally don’t have any problems with the switchless system, but some do.

r m
    Spectator

@rm

I carry one of these:

http://www.klaruslight.com/plist_show.php?id=20

Titanium body, 100 lumen, waterproof, 12 grams without the AAA battery. Multiple brightness modes, twist to turn on.

I like it being AAA because my main headlamp and wrist GPS are also AAA. Also I frequently use it as a headlamp when I can't find mine, a 4" length of athletic tape sticks it well to the top of my beanie or top of helmet. Has been flawless light in my experience.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I picked up this light at my local hardware store for $6. It is surprisingly bright for its size, weighs nothing, and doesn't block the view. Only problem is that it needs different coin batteries from my Photon. It is bright enough that I am bringing it for my primary light, since I don't night hike. I customize mine with reflective stickers, so that I can see the black thing among all the other black stuff.hat light

hat light

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Both the Photon and the Cyclops Micro light use the 2016 button batteries. Much more convenient than carrying separate spares.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Hi, Diane,

I checked your link and noticed that it spec'ed CR2016, which is the same as the Photon Freedom. But there are some models of Photon that use different batteries so I thought perhaps yours was one of those.

It's definitely darn handy when the same battery works for other lights. I also sometimes use a Ptezl e+lite and it requires 2x CR2032… and therefore earns an important asterisk on the gear checklist.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!