Topic

Cut down Exped AirMat UL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cut down Exped AirMat UL

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

I'm looking for the lightest 36 inch air pad to use in my Thermarest Compack chair. I have an 8oz Trest self-inflating prolite right now that I've used and just bought a cut down 8 oz Exped synmat UL from a forum member. But searching the internet I see that the 72 inch Exped AirMat UL weighs 12 oz so is potentially 6 oz cut down to 36 inches. Has anyone had experience cutting down the Exped Airmat UL?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Hi Carol,
    If you want more warmth in winter, if found the exped downmat lite 5S can be squeezed into a thermarest compack chair frame with a bit of doubling over at both ends.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Thanks Rog,
    The pad for the chair will be in addition to my sleeping pad. I know, what an extravagance. But I love having a chair and in warm weather 5 day trips I can still keep my total pack weight as low as I like (about 22 lbs) with the dedicated pad for the chair.
    I just bought a new expel airmat lite ul on ebay from somewhere overseas. The materials are exactly as listed for the synmat, so I should be able to cut it down (albeit nervously) and save about 2 ounces. Of course I have to wait about a month for it to arrive :(

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Ah, OK. So is the airmat just plain with no insulation at all?

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

That's right, the Airmat has no insulation. After searching I wonder if they are not sold domestically. The one I got on ebay is coming from an Asian country, not sure which one.

R
    Spectator

@autox

http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20RD6%20Neoair%20Modification.html

Video link at bottom.

Maybe the same materials?

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Thanks!

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

The Neoair is a different beast to the exped. How did it work out?

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

I was going to explain how I now have (or will have soon) 2 expel mats and 2 neo airs and what I may or may not do with all of them, but it got too complicated. Short story, I haven't cut down either type of mat for my self yet. I'll figure out what to do once the other 2 mats arrive.

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

@cmcrooker, did you ever cut down your exped mat?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools