Topic

Invitation Wind River Range (Elkhart Park) Golden Trout Backpack July 23

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Invitation Wind River Range (Elkhart Park) Golden Trout Backpack July 23

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

I am inviting anyone who wants to join me on July 24 to backpack into a beautiful area that has amazing golden trout fishing (quantity and size)and leaving from Elkhart Park in Pinedale. For a decently healthy backpacker it is a two day approach. I caught 4 goldies above 20 inches last year with one being 24 inches and I estimate it was 5-6 pounds. Here are the details:

1) I plan on spending 6-8 days (3-5 day base camp at the amazing golden trout lake) depending on how much we are enjoying it and the weather. If you decide to leave a bit earlier or really want to stay longer that is fine.

2) From base camp, I'd like to one day do some exploring of an area with higher elevation and there is a possibility of peak bagging depending on conditions (may encounter too much snow).

3) There are two promising lakes above this lake which are connected to it by a stream, which are rumored to have similar fishing.

4) You should be in decent shape and know that the last 2.5 miles are easy off trail and above tree line (not too complicated navigation).

5) Don't "tell the world" about the lake or mention it on the internet.

6) The lake is not a total secret, but many people who come to this lake don't catch much based on the locations they fish and presentation. There are specific places where they feed. I caught them on spinning gear and fly gear.

7) You should be comfortable with camping above tree line and bring a wind worthy shelter, since the lake is well above tree line.

8) You must keep a clean camp and store your food at night appropriately (hang or bear can). I use an ursack, but there are plenty of tall cliffs that you can easily hand your food off of at the lake. I see no reason to "invite" trouble.

9) I may be open to you meeting me there if you want to hike in a day or 2 later.

10) I like to sometimes keep a few for the pan, but I don't want to abuse the resource. If you want to "play" catch and release, I highly recommend switching to single hooks (I almost always do this anyways).

William King
    Spectator

@wildwill

Have you posted a post-trip report yet?

I'm leaving out of Elkhart Park, Aug 27, for four days. My first time in the winds! Im coming all the way from Missouri. So Im super excited for it. I've enjoyed picking up on some of the lightweight philosophies to supplement my backcountry fishing experience.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

My post-trip report is here:
    link to report

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=106010

Here is the "video report".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5rKl_iOkbY
    Wind River Range Backpacking Video

I am obviously purposefully vague about off-trail and goldie locations, but I'm happy to help you out a bit over PM.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools