Topic

Hex tips for Brit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hex tips for Brit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Collinson

@eurus

I’ve just taken delivery of a Hex 3, nest and base. I plan to mostly just use the Hex and base, probably with walking poles too to save some extra weight. I’ll need to get it low to the ground a lot of the time because the condition here in Britain are often wet and windy.
    It seems that the pole (micro-adjustable type) is a little too long to get the edge of the canopy right down on the ground. I’m thinking I might have to cut a little off one of the sections. Has anybody elso found this? Or am I missing a trick?

Also, the Hex is often referred to as 4-season, but I can see it being a bit draughty in single skin mode, and prone to letting in spindrift. The nest being just mesh might not help too much with this either, so I’m also thinking of making a custom inner for it for the winter.

What are your experiences?

John Davis

@jndavis

Locale: Isle of Man

Christopher, I’ll be interested to here how you get on with it in view of a recent midge episode with my otherwise excellent Cave 1.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Hi,
    You should be fine with the existing pole, once you set it up you can vary the height of the center pole to bring as close to ground as you need. To seal off in the winter it helps to have Hex staked out (with snow stakes) then cover the perimeter with snow, this will help with stability of the structure as well. Best of luck.
    Jim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools