Topic

Wind River Range (Desolation Valley, Lake Nelson, and Dad’s Lake)–Time Lapse Videos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Wind River Range (Desolation Valley, Lake Nelson, and Dad’s Lake)–Time Lapse Videos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

I'm on a layover day during my month in the Wind Rivers. So far I've hiked into Desolation Valley from Big Sandy (off trail past Pyramid Lake) and hiked into Lake Nelson from Elkhart Park. The weather has been insaine with 4 days of rain off and on all day for 4 days straight and significant snow July 18 at Lake Nelson followed by the upper 70's on July 19!!! I will post a more extensive report later, but I just wanted to share these Time lapse videos and pictures. I know that these time lapses are very amateurish and this is my 1st time using this gopro, but I still think they are fun videos

1) Time Lapse of Desolation valley:

Desolation Valley

2) Time lapse of Dad's Lake on the way back from Desolation Valley:
    Dad's Lake

3) Time Lapse of Lake Nelson:
    Lake Nelson

Here is Desolation Valley. It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

Desolation valley smog

Middle East Park Lake of Desolation Valley.

Peter Rodrigues
    BPL Member

@prodrigues

Locale: New York

Excellent music!

Andrew Jennings
    BPL Member

@breaktheshoal

Locale: West of the Mississippi

Thanks for posting, Michael! What kind of gear are you carrying out there? I picked up an Astro off of Kickstarter a long time ago but could never get the thing to work. Oh well, probably not worth carrying the extra weight on my backpacking trips but I really liked the pan in your timelapses.

On a completely unrelated note, how are the bugs? I'm looking to head out to the Winds in a month and was hoping you might have some insight on current conditions.

Thanks in advance!

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Hi. These timelapses were taken with a Hero 4 silver with the new update. This camera has amazing video quality and mediocre picture quality like most gopros. The new update allows one to take time lapses in video mode, which takes advantage of the cameras great video quality. The panning is allowed by the "Camalapse 4", which can be bought here or through amazon:
    http://camalapse.com/#Home,
    It only weighs 3.9 oz. and operates basically like an egg timer. It allows panning from 0-60 minutes. The other camera that I carry is a Canon SX50 (Big zoom–50 x Optical!) and a Garman Virb as a head camera. I know it sounds silly bringing two action cameras, but I like the ability of the Virb to get some sound and still be waterproof, while the GOPRO has a bit better video quality and two action cams lets me do a timelapse from two different angles. The last 20 seconds of still/non-panning time lapse in the Lake Nelson timelapse is from the garmin VIRB.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools