Topic

Changing to a Poncho Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Changing to a Poncho Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I'm thinking about trading in my 2person canternary tarp for a poncho tarp. It'll save weight and space. I'm currently thinking about the MLD Sil Pro Poncho, Integral Designs, or GoLite.

Has anyone had great experience with the MLD one to warrant me spending the extra cash on it?

Dave T

@davet

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Locale: Northeast

I have an MLD Silnylon Poncho and think it was defiantly worth the extra cost. It combined with an MLD soul bivy are my primary shelter when backpacking solo. I have the older 9ft 6in model and feel the extra 6 inches is not necessary. I also own a ID poncho, and to be honest never had much problems using it in the past as well, as most of my backpacking is below tree line in the north east.

John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

MLD makes amazing stuff. You won't be sorry you spent the extra money for several reasons:
    1. The hood is very well designed, much better than its competors. It rolls away tightly when set up as a tarp. When used as a poncho it protects very well.
    2. The catenary cut. It pitches tighter – and therefore is more quiet in wind – than it's competors.

I sat under the tarp last summer during a two hour long thunderstorm and was surprised at it's ability to stay taught and quiet in some pretty strong wind.

I also own the SMD Gatewood cape. It's also a great piece of gear, but I find that I like to bring the MLD pochotarp and a bivy more often. I like the way the MLD fits as a poncho better. But the SMD offers more storm protection. I still can't decide which I like better!

michael trafton

@traftonm3203

Locale: South East

My wife made a poncho using Sil-Nylon, 13 oz with tie downs. Its large enough to cover my pack, so I do not carry a pack cover. I also cut the rain fly and vestable of my tent, so the the tarp doubles as rain fly, and vesable for my tent. I have seen that som just use the tarp. How dificulte is it to stay dry during heavy rain with out using a tent also. I'm not sure if its worth getting wet to save 2 Lb. 13 oz.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I've made the transition to a poncho tarp. Used GoLite for a couple of months while waiting for my MLD. I used a BMW Vapr bivy with the Golite and was delighted with the results.

My MLD sil pro arrived last week. I played with it in the backyard. Easy to set up. The way the hood rolls up and is secured is great. It is made really well. Definitely a great value. Worth the wait too.

I think the Golite is good, too. However, if you have the extra bucks then go for the MLD. I'm glad it is now my new home away from home.

I'm going to try it in the wild as soon as I can. Did I mention that I like the MLD : ) OK, maybe I get a bit excited about high quality craftsmanship at a fair price.

David Wills

@willspower3

I like my homemade spinoff of the MLD pro poncho. Its not cat cut, is made from $1/ yd silnylon, and lacks some features of the MLD- hang loops, reinforcements, etc. The shape of the poncho is wonderful though. It covers the pack way better than regular ponchos, and it is the perfect 1 person sized tarp. I don't use a bivy and don't feel like I will need to with this. I'd recommend spending the extra money if you can.

Drew Davis
    BPL Member

@drewnc2005

Locale: Denver, CO

John, George, or anyone else that owns the MLD –

Could you guys post some pictures of the hood? I'm particularly curious about BOTH (right and left) sides of the seams where it is sewn onto the "tarp." A picture from the underside of this seam is also something I'd be interested to see. A measurement of the length of the seam where the hood and tarp meet would also be nice.

I'm just a little skeptical of this slit-style and would like to see it first. The picture Ron has on his sight is only of one side. I'd kinda like to see it from the other side and from underneath.

I appreciate it and thanks in advance if anyone could do that…

Dylan Taylor

@nevadas

Locale: California Coast

i am enjoying this poncho/tarp quite a bit. it is my first though. i posted a review with some pics if youre interested.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Dylan,

Nice review, and great pics! Living in Florida I don't get views like that anymore….

I, too, have the Cape and am trying to adapt it for buggy Florida.

Todd

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

>>> underside of this seam

mld 2

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools