Topic

Trail runners with wide toe box

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trail runners with wide toe box

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I own the real minimal ones so I can’t say about their other models. I do think they are going for cushy, similar to altras. The store I work at plans on carrying them soon so I can get back to you on that.

Jeffrey Wong
    BPL Member

@kayak4water

Locale: Pacific NW

I just ordered some Topo trail runners from REI. sale priced at $65. Given the return policy, no worries.

Happy trails

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

Inov8 Roclite 280s. Just got a pair on Amazon for $70* and really like them so far. Wide toe and tight on heel.

*Looks like they are $100 now.

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Locale: San Luis Obispo

My dream shoe would have a mild to moderate drop with the wide toe box of the Altras. I loved the way the Altra Lone Peak fit through the forefoot but the zero drop led to a seriously strained Achilles. Would any of the shoes discussed here so far fit my duck feet without shredding my Achilles?

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Possibly the Saucony Xodus I had mentioned earlier might be better if you don’t want a zero drop shoe.  The Xodus shoes have a 4mm drop.  I also liked the Inov8 Roclite 295s when I was using them.  The Xodus have a stiffer sole if that matters to you.

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123
    Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Mike M’s EARLIER RECOMMENDATION in this thread is a good one, I like the fit better than my Altras

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Roger said:

“> If you really need a wide toe-box without going up in shoe width
    Isn’t that a contradiction in terms?

Cheers”

Roger,

It’s not as simple as going up in width. When fitting a shoe, you need to look at the heel width, midfoot width, and toe room width.

There is also vertical height volume in the instep/arch area and the toe area. Some people go up in width to compensate for their high arch volume, but then they end up with a sole profile that is wider than their feet which causes slipping around. It’s easy to mistake having a wide foot for having a high arch.

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

After 90 minutes and 8 pairs of shoes tried at Running Warehouse I went with the Pearl Izumi N2 over the Innov8 Roclite 280 and NB Leadville 2E and 4E. The NB was sloppy for heel fit. Several good suggestions here. Thanks!

Todd Forbes
    Spectator

@tforbes

Locale: Texas-Colorado

I just got a pair of the new Altra Lone Peak 3.0 that just started shipping from their website last week and they have a very wide toebox, just not sure about the zero-drop, still trying to get used to it.  I have bunions & tailor bunions on both feet, have had one bunion surgery and the doc said it was the largest he had ever cut off in 40 years of performing that surgery so having the widest toebox possible is mandatory for me.  They also come in half-sizes which really helped, size 12.5 was perfect.  I’m going to give myself another week to see if I can adjust to the zero-drop, they are supposed to be a little easier on the knees and I’m bone-on-bone on the medial joint of my left knee and hike with an offloader brace so am trying everything possible to continue backpacking, but the zero drop had me walking like a drunk at first, becoming more accustomed to it but still not 100% sold on it, I think a 4mm rise would be better.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

“I’m going to give myself another week to see if I can adjust to the zero-drop”

From my experience (and that of others I hike/run with) it can take 2-3 weeks for your body to adapt to the zero drop shoes. I’d suggest using them for short walks at first (2-3 miles); going uphill your Achilles tendon and calves will get a work out and be sore – so go easy at first.

Once I adapted and was comfortable in the zero/low drop shoes, I find I can move between low drop shoes and regular shoes with no issues.

I’ve tried the New Balance MT101 (the original model back in 2011 I think), Topo Athletic Oterro (discontinued),  Altra Lone Peak (1.0, 2.0 and now the 3.0). I also run/hike in La Sportiva Ultra Raptor, TX3 (new), Saucony Xodus, New Balance MT101 and Brooks Cascadia. I have 4-5 pairs in the rotation at any given time and switch between them depending on what I’m doing.

Clue M
    BPL Member

@cluemonger

I am enjoying the asics dynaflyte for pavement and easy trail hybrid activity.   Cushy but fast.

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

I have recently placed heel cup inserts under the insole of my Altra Lone Peak and it seems like it solves the problem of the zero drop straining my Achilles. The Altras are far and away the best shoe I have found for a wide toe box.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I tried a pair of Hoka Mafate 4’s, nice wide toe box, very well cushioned; too wide in the midfoot and heel- if your feet are wide full length this would be a shoe worth considering.

Pearl Izumi just came out with the new N3- fit is identical to the N2, but more cushioned- I think these will be pretty popular.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools