Topic

lightest 20 oz plastic bottles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lightest 20 oz plastic bottles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I've used 20 oz Vitamin Water bottles, sturdy and a relatively wide mouth, but weigh 1.4 oz/each; in contrast I have some Arrowhead 16 oz bottles that only weigh 0.4 oz (and sturdy enough), I'd prefer 20 oz though if I can find a light one

tia

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

I use the Smart Water bottles that hold 33.8 fluid ounces. The bottle weight comes in very close to your Vitamin Water bottles at 1.385 ounces on my scale. I know SmartWater has a shorter bottle size, not 100% sure that it is a 20 ounce volume size, and I do not know their weight. But the Smart water bottles have worked great for me with the Sawyer mini on my past several Sierra trips.

Sleek shape slides easily into a side pocket. Same diameter bottles for the 1 litre (33.8 ounces) and the smaller bottle. I noticed several hikers on the PCT using this bottle type FWIW.

Gabriel Harper
    Spectator

@tekime

Locale: Maine

I have to second the Smart Water bottles. I've used the same bottle on two multiday treks and a dozen gnarly bike treks and it was still holding up. (I say was because this particular one somehow got evacuated in the recycling.. :()

Also they don't creak or make weird noises and I love the shape. I use a Smart Water bottle for my pack bottle and keep a few Outdoor Products 1 liter foldable water bottles along with my Sawyer Mini filter.. works a charm.

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

The smaller SmartWater bottles are 23.7 ounce (750 mL) size. They come in at 1.2 ounces with the flip top, or 1.1 ounces with the screw top.

Nice, but nowhere near as light as those thin-skin bottles.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

My gym has a vending machine with SmartWater bottles in 20oz size, so they're out there. I'm guessing it would weigh about 1 oz. I use a water bottle similar to the Arrowhead and such but is larger, 0.7L or about 23.5oz. Got it at a convenience store. Has a squirt top and weighs 0.6 oz.

Brian Goode
    BPL Member

@blgoode

I use the small crinkly plastic bottles in 20oz. Lighter than the smartwarer type of plastic. Got them at grocery store.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I'll have to make a little shopping trip to the grocery store :)

the "crinkly" 16 oz ones (these are Arrowhead, but I think they are all pretty similar) seem to be plenty sturdy for carrying water, just need a bump in volume

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

after looking at a lot of bottles I settled on Montana Treasure 20 oz bottles, I'm sure these are rebranded a bunch of different names

the bottle has a light blue hue and is definitely sturdier than the cheaper crinkly ones, in 20 oz they weigh 0.7 oz which isn't too shabby, my guess is the crinkly ones are a tenth or two lighter yet

they aren't sturdy as the Vitamin Water ones I have, but half the weight and thus far plenty sturdy

photo climbrainbowpass_zpsxcnd2bg3.jpeg

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The crinkly ones weigh about the same for 32 ounces, but I am not sure they are worth it. Can you believe I actually brought two back from Nepal since they were so lightweight. Yipes.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hey Mike– nice jugs! I mean… bottles!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I loved the older Aquafina bottles – wider mouth than a soda bottle, far lighter than a Nalgene, although not so light nor as noisy as the crinkly more disposable-gauge ones. I try hard to keep track of my 16- and 24-ounce older ones. The newer ones, with a soda-bottle-sized-neck are also a nice gauge of plastic, but take a little longer to fill because of their narrow mouth.

For structural reasons, wider-mouth bottles have to be a bit thicker plastic.

Saving weight is good and all, but I fret about those really thin bottles leaking and I hate the noise they make. The container weighing 5% while the contents weigh 95% seems pretty efficient already.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Thanks Dale :)
    David sounds like these might be similarly gauged, definitely more hardy than the "crinkly" ones. Not sure why they discontinued the wider mouth ones, maybe $$$???

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

"Saving weight is good and all, but I fret about those really thin bottles leaking and I hate the noise they make. The container weighing 5% while the contents weigh 95% seems pretty efficient already."

+1

I've dropped a full 20oz Vitamin Water bottle more than once, even had one tumble down a steep hillside, without breakage. No way one of the flimsy water bottles would survive. It seems to me that with it only weighing 1.4oz, this is already pretty amazing strength:weight, and it's a critical piece of gear. If you're looking for additional occasional water capacity, I'd suggest a flexible Platypus for great weight/strength/capacity. But using a flimsy bottle as a primary water container would definitely be moving into the realm of "stupid light" for me.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If strength is a concern, most bottles for carbonated drinks with the "rocket bottom" are more than strong enough and there are all kinds of sizes. The really light crinkly water bottles are okay for single use on a day day hike (we keep some in the car), but I wouldn't re-use them or build a carry system around them. All the rocket bottom versions are certainly light enough. Vitamin Water and Gatorade bottles would work for me too— it's all about fitting in the pack pocket.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I use the crinkly water bottles for trips up to ten days with no issues. They may go longer but I don't seem to be able to get out for more days than that. I use Dasani bottles and pair of 500ml works great for me but I wish the opening was a little larger.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Twist top 20oz gatorade bottles for my drinking bottle then a 32oz powerade for extra water. twist top cap doesn't react well to being dropped but but i like the twist top for drinking on the go.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I use the Gatoraid or Vitamin water bottles. The wide mouth is a must for refills off awkward logs, and other bad places. I have one set I have been using for at least ten years. They are rugged and have bounced down 50-75' when I dropped one getting it out of my pouch. Not the lightest at about 1.5 to 1.6oz each.

I tried the lighter water bottles even though they had a smaller cap. But, when empty, they often kink a little, making noise (as was mentioned.) And the noise also indicates some sort of stress on the bottle. After a week out both had developed a leak on the bottom edge and I had to buy a pair of Gatoraid bottles (full of course) to replace them. Fortunately, small leaks so carrying them upside down was viable for a pair of days. Still a pain to fill from a spring, though. They weigh about .6oz for a 19.4oz bottle. New, they will blow the top off with enough pressure. But, they go bad too quickly for my tastes. The Poland Spring bottles are a little heavier at about .75-.8oz and they do hold up better, but for only for about 2 weeks. Again, the kinks will eventually get these too. Fine for weekends or three days out, though. Again, these have smaller mouths and are hard to fill. If you pump them or use them on a sawyer filter, they will go bad sooner.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

"I use the crinkly water bottles for trips up to ten days with no issues."

+1

Those are the only ones I've ever used. Work great and only a few grams. I could do without the crinkle noise, but not a huge deal for me.

Ryan

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools