Topic

Whuch MEC baselayer for BIG SEKI in August

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Whuch MEC baselayer for BIG SEKI in August

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I'm headed to Road's end Kings Canyon National Park in the second week of August to try the big seki loop. I'm trying to figure out what kind of base layer to bring. There's a 2% chance I try going up Mount Whitney at the same time. Would the T-1 be ok or would you bring the T-2 (with collar no hood) just in case? I'm guessing the T-3 hoody is overkill. I own all three.

When it's 20-30f in the evenings or mornings and I'm outside my tent just doing chores I find the T-1 is actually plenty with the down jacket and hat. If I'm just sitting there relaxing and want to read and enjoy views I find the T-2 is more comfortable. When hiking down to 20f no base layer at all and if windy at that temp I'll just put on my rain jacket and rain pants.

My other warm layers are fleece mitts with cuben fiber over mitts, fleece hat, zpacks down hat and montbell ex light and a buff if needed around my neck.

Any thoughts appreciated . . .

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

My vote is for the T3.
    I like mine under a shell in case of rain. It's also remarkably comfortable across a wide range of temps.
    Ex Light wets out easy…so only good for when it's dry.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

wow! a base layer that heavy? I've only used them in 0f type weather for day hikes snowshoeing (not overnight).

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Haha yeah that might just be my weird opinion.
    Since the invention of powerdry HE, I've been dual purposing base layers as a light insulation layer.
    I'm actually second questioning that logic…so others here might have better suggestions.

I tend to get cold easy too…guessing that's not an issue with you.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

What exactly are you using the base layer for? As your main hiking shirt? As a second layer to add warmth? Or as something to change into at night in camp?

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Sorry didn't really specify that, I normally wear a thin arcteryx phase something or other or if bugs are really bad a MEC nylon rail riders type knock off. I never really wear base layers when hiking just doing chores or lounging around.

I guess what I'm really wondering from the California experts is how bad can the weather get. I'm fine with the phase shirt down to about 0 Celsius, if wind is a factor I just throw on my rain jacket.

My experience in the mountains to this point has always included beautiful weather with some light rain. I guess I'm wondering what people are wearing in windy afternoon thundershowers on the jmt and places like that.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Some people can get by with just a rain jacket over a thin shirt, then change into their dry down jacket when they stop for the night. I can sometimes get cold easily so I am more likely to bring some kind of mid layer now. my patagonia cap 4 hoody is perfect for that.
    If you are fine down to 0 degrees C with just your phase shirt, I think you could get by with just a rain jacket + base layer during storms.

I'm not really sure what you mean when you say "base layer" as you refer to your phase not being a base layer. I usually associate the word base layer with whatever I'm wearing next to my skin. Probably a better way to describe these things would be first layer + second layer + outer shell.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools