Topic

Temps 65F to 91F – Thinking of leaving quilt home.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Temps 65F to 91F – Thinking of leaving quilt home.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

I'm planning a trip to Eagle Rock Loop, AR (http://caltopo.com/m/3Q0D) the first week of August. Temperatures are expected to range from 65F – 91F (http://bit.ly/1Gq90jm).

Of course I'll get a better forecast as time nears but for now I'm thinking of leaving my quilt at home. Maybe just the down sweater as backup.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

A 12 oz fitted cotton/polyester twin-size sheet works great for those temps. The elastic at each end helps keep the sheet secure over the head and feet when the cool night air sets in.

They can be bought very cheap at Goodwill or Walmart.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I suspect a jacket and sheet or bivy will suffice. I would soak the sheet in permethrin. I have gotten chiggers so bad backpacking in the south in August that I have mostly quit doing it in August.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Thanks!

Permethrin is a great idea!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah this is one of the things i like about summer in the south.

Considerations: are you doing tent, tarp or shelter? Are you wearing convertible pants you can add the legs back on?

I've slept in a tent, with just a jacket, and no sleeping pad down to 65-68. Gets a little drafty around 2-4am.

If you use just the jacket, I'd bet you're going to end up curled up in the fetal position. Probably wake up a couple times due to drafts. If you sleep with a sheet or sleeping bag liner, you'll sleep much more stretched out. wake up less in the night.

Just be real sure with elevation and weather, the temp won't drop down into the 50s. 50s is where hyperthermia can become an issue.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Your shelter plays a key roll in what you bring. But honestly look at the weight. By the time you add a sheet with your jacket your quilt might be within a few ounces. If thats the case I would ditch the jacket and just bring the quilt.

Or bring just a bivy with long underwear or a fleece jacket.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools