Topic

1st Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 1st Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Mathisen

@mathix

Locale: Oregon

I'll call this a rough draft!
    It's my first gear list. I haven't got any weights put in yet. There are some things I'm missing and other items I'm in the process of changing out, so take a look and let me know what you think?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Here's a link for the lazy amongst us. Gear List. This is a good starter list. You'll get similar recommendations from many here but I would suggest looking into a different insulating layer, something along the lines of a puffy coat – lighter and more insulating. You could probably ditch the Petzl Tikka for something more robust, or just leave it at home altogether.

Jaiden .

@jaiden

I recommend switching to non cotton underwear. There are merino varieties and synthetic. I wear some coolmax/spandex boxer briefs I got from target in the sportswear section. I like them so much that I wear these 365 days a year. The hat is less important, but I try to avoid any cotton except for a bandanna. You should at least swap it out for a red sox cap :)

I carry a 300 weight fleece balaclava, liner gloves and waterproof vinyl gloves (from the hardware store, for painting and such) regardless of the weather. Also, some produce bags to slip over my feet. For the 3-4 total ounces this is a huge insurance policy against frost bite, hypothermia or general misery. but then I don't know where you're planning to hike.

I also carry several ways to make fire.

Michael Mathisen

@mathix

Locale: Oregon

Yeah, a new insulating layer is definitely in the works. Right now I'm kind of stuck on gloves and over mitts. I don't see any appealing choices out there. The same goes for headwear. I have the hardest time finding a beanie that doesn't irritate my forehead. As for my Dodgers hat, I can't get rid of the thing. I can never find it when I get back from a trip but it always reappears when I am going to leave for a trip, so I have to take it!

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Michael, for hands I use a pair of MontBell Chameece Inner Gloves and a pair of empty bagel sacks.

Gloves are 1.1 oz (size L) and the sacks are .2 oz each.

For a hat you might consider the Polar Buff. Mine weighs 2 oz. The original Buffs don't have the Polartec fleece so are even lighter.

As a bonus, BuffWear.com has free shipping until 12/21.

REI has a turtle fur beenie on sale for $2.93 in their outlet department online. Might be worth a try because it is so cheap.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools